Jackie Jones Beta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Thinking of going down to Jackie Jones Fire Tower this weekend. My dad lives near by and I was wondering if a 77 year old man could walk up to the tower. He is in average health for his age.

Anyone have info?

Jackie Jones Fire Tower

Tom Rankin said:
Thinking of going down to Jackie Jones Fire Tower this weekend. My dad lives near by and I was wondering if a 77 year old man could walk up to the tower. He is in average health for his age.

Anyone have info?

Where and what is the Jackie Jones Fire Tower? I know some guys that are 92 and 85 and still ski race, but may not attempt a big climb up a tall tower.

skibones said:
Where and what is the Jackie Jones Fire Tower? I know some guys that are 92 and 85 and still ski race, but may not attempt a big climb up a tall tower.
It's in Rockland County, NY.

Hi Tom, well, from the trailhead which is basically by the locked gate to the microwave tower that is next to the firetower which is owned by American something or other. The parking is just on the shoulder of the road, you follow I believe a yellow blazed trail through the ORAK ruins, then you cross a woods road and then the trail starts to get skinny here and up. However, since you have to go by the American something or other company's microwave tower there and the American company needs road access, you can literally walk the paved road (for most part) up to the microwave tower, then you can pick up the yellow trail again and follow that to the firetower. Once you hit the American microwave tower, you're on top of the ridge and it's a flat woods road walk to the firetower.

I think it would be doable for anybody in decent shape. Even the actual trail which branches off the paved road in about 1/2 mile or so from the trailhead isn't rugged. It's mostly a woods road until you get past the ORAK ruins and then past the woods road.

Jay

JJ Tower

Tom Rankin said:
Thanks so far.

What's the total distance and elevation gain?

Via the yellow (Suffern-Bear Mtn) Trail it is 1 mile to the fire tower - EG - just under 400 feet. Via the paved road - about .9 miles - EG is the same!

Fred

frytz said:
Via the yellow (Suffern-Bear Mtn) Trail it is 1 mile to the fire tower - EG - just under 400 feet. Via the paved road - about .9 miles - EG is the same!
Thanks, that might be a little too much for him. Maybe we'll take a drive up to High Point in New Jersey. It's closer to his house and we can walk as much or as little as we want that way.

Another option in the same area is Perkin's Tower, which you can also drive too in Bear Mountain SP.

There is a nice firetower in NJ on Bearfort Ridge which is in the Pequannock Watershed area, but it is again a short woods road hike up to the tower.

Jay

Are you looking for people to join you on this trip?

If you are just looking for info, this belongs in Q&A.

- darren