Jackson for a 48th and 4 firsts!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Jackson (48) via Webster-Jackson Trail, 5.2 miles, 2150 feet, 6:00

Late last year, the idea of my children coming with me for my final 4000-footer grew into a plan. As a family, we had hiked many smaller mountains, and the kids generally did quite well. For 2008, I laid out a series of 5 or 6 increasingly difficult hikes, which they took on as challenges to prove they could handle a 4K. In return I changed my finale plans from Carrigain to Jackson. The summer of rain caused a late-August peak-bagging flurry so that we could attempt Jackson on Labor Day weekend. I love it when a plan comes together. On a cool, breezey, late-August day, Amanda (8) and Matthew (5) finally achieved their year-long hiking goal of summiting their first 4000-footer. For Jennifer, Jackson makes eight or so. Accompanying us were Jennifer's mom Jane, and her husband Dana, and two more first-time 4000-footer aspirants--their golden retrievers Bode and Holly. And I completed the NH48.

It was Dana who first took me hiking--Moosilauke in May of 2006--while we were visiting. From him, I learned about the NH48. Therefore it seemed appropriate that he be there for number 48. So like last May, we made plans to come up north and spend the weekend. Sunday morning came and we had breakfast and took a leisurely start. On the way to Twin Mountain, that familiar pattern of lenticular clouds showed us exactly where the mountains were and I started wondering if we'd have any views or if it would be as warm as the weather forecast had predicted. After snagging the last two spaces in the lot, we got geared up and crossed 302 to begin our adventure.

The trail itself alternates between flat and fairly easy packed dirt, and steeper sections strewn with rock. Fresh legs carried us past the first viewpoint of Crawford Notch and on to Silver Cascade where immediately the dogs and kids went in the water, as dogs and kids will do. OK, the dogs went IN the water and the kids dipped their hands in, but the division was clear: puppies and kids: water=fun, grown-ups: water=crossing. We spent a little while here exploring and taking photos before continuing upward. There are some really huge boulders on this trail which were another attraction for the kids. Both kids thought "Mount Jackson is really fun because of the cascade."

At the Webster-Jackson split we briefly discussed doing the loop, something which I ordinarily would have done, but today the goal was Jackson and I was pretty sure Webster would have cost us that goal, and so we turned left on the Jackson branch. The second "half", while not as long, is steeper and requires occasional scrambling. In a section of spruce graveyard, the summit ledges come into view. Even though it looks like it is still a ways off, it didn't take long to get to the final scrambles. The first scramble was difficult and the dogs, being only 8 months old, needed a boost. All the humans managed to scramble up on their own. Above this obstacle the trail turn right and goes over some additional boulders before reaching the long ledge scramble just beneath the top. Here we put on additional layers for the wind was blowing 30mph with occasional higher gusts (Washington showed 35-50mph while we were up there, and a high for the day of 81mph.)

Besides bagging the peak, the kids really wanted to feed the gray jays. I kept a small separate stash of raisins and nuts handy in my pocket and as the trees got shorter I kept an eye and an ear out for their appearance. They did not disappoint either. It took a minute to win their confidence, probably because of the dogs, but we soon had a pair of them coming back for thirds. Silver Cascade stepped down a rung on the coolness ladder.

At last, the moment we had all been waiting for. Hand-in-hand, Amanda, Matthew and I walked together up to the summit cairn and each planted a foot on it to claim the peak. After a quick photo we found a place with some protection which still offered views and we ate our lunch. Matthew, enjoyer of maps, sat through the "tour" of the surrounding vista. Amanda, "Whatever", continued chatting the whole time we ate. Thirty minutes later we packed up and headed back down the way we came. The kids got lots of well-deserved congratulations both on the summit and on the trail.

The trip down was pretty smooth although the younger four member of the party where definitely tired. Descending is always more difficult than ascending. The dogs have four-paw drive, while the kids make use of the "sit and slide" method. Everyone made it back to the car without more than a minor scrape or bump.

On the overall 48, I kept track of enough data to show:

Code:
Trips   Miles        Elev       Time    MPH     FPH
      total/avg    total/avg    HH:MM   avg     avg
26    288.8/11.1  93,060/3580	191:20	1.5	485

beginning in May 2006 (Moosilauke) and finishing 27 months later.

Having spent 10+ months in relative inactivity to recover from patellar-femoral syndrome, I am most-happy to have completed this journey.

Tim

Last edited:
Congratulations Tim!Awesome finish with the family.Way to bang out those last ones these past couple weeks.I was on Cannon yesterday and it was quite windy, this condition must have really made the kids feel like they climbed Everest.

:) :) Congratulations Tim. You had a wonderful day for your finish. :) :)
We hiked Eisenhower-Pierce-Jackson saturday august 30 in the fog, no views all day. For us, the weather is often nicer when we finish our day's hike. :)

Last edited:
Congrats Tim!

Great day, and glad you got to spend it and celebrate with family! Well done!

That's the way to do it Tim...Great Job!

I"ve been taking my nephew up the 4k's since he was 5..we did Jackson one day in the absolute pouring rain...toughened him up a bit but you had by far the more spectacular day!!

excellent...

Congrats! Must be very special to celebrate your accomplishment with your family by your side! :cool:

Congrats! Must be great doing this after coming back from a knee injury. Now that you've got your family going on it now you have a great excuse to go back and do them again! ;)

DougPaul said:
Or they could decide that now that he has finished the 48 he is done and should stay home... :(

Doug

Anybody that's got the birds eating out of their hands will be back in the woods :cool:

Sasquatch said:
Congratulations Tim!Awesome finish with the family.Way to bang out those last ones these past couple weeks.I was on Cannon yesterday and it was quite windy, this condition must have really made the kids feel like they climbed Everest.

In the vault of "Matthew-isms" is the priceless gem he uttered last year:

They call it EVEREST because it takes forEVER to climb it and you're tired so you have to REST.

DougPaul said:
Or they could decide that now that he has finished the 48 he is done and should stay home... :(

Let's just say that I will be participating in more soccer and less hiking during the next 10 weekends. And that's OK with me. I would be delighted to do a whole new round of 48 with my family. It just won't be a "speed round" (not that 27 months is a speed round by some standards.)

All-Congratulatory-Replies said:
...Congrats...

Thank you all very much. It's been a wicked awesome experience.

Tim

Congratulations Tim, especially with the rebound from an injury, that makes the feeling so much better. I had to have total ACL reconstruction back in '98 and have appreciated hiking all the more since.

Tim, Congratulations to you and your family for a day well trained for, well planned and perfectly enjoyed! It is easy to see that the children will soon want to make those single digits into double or triple digits in the near future, especially knowing they have a father who can guide them to each one. Nice going! :cool: