Jay Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
I'm planning to do a 4 day whack around the Jay Range area in Feb. I was hoping to get some info on the following questions. Is Luke Glen road plowed in the winter? Are there adequate shoulders for digging out parking for two cars?
We thought we would base camp at Merriam swamp then whack around Saddleback, Slip, and the Jay Ridge. Are there winter approaches into that area that might be better than the unofficial trail? Any imput concerning the area as it relates to bushwhacking would be appreciated. Thanks for any info, Buddy

unofficial trail?

I am curious as to what unofficial trail you mean?
There was a path that lead into Merriam Swamp but it is now posted and def obliterated in the winter. Or do you mean the one at the DEC property line that follows the ridge line up from the jct of Jay Mt Rd and the connector road (don't know the name) to Styles Brk Rd?

The GlenLuke Road changed names. I think it is now called the Jay Mt Rd and it was plowed last March just beyond the last house on that road and before the HOL. There is a large turnaround that is probably for the snowplow and maybe parking? I'd call the town. Beyond that turnout the road is seasonal and a woman had tried driving her minivan until it had to be towed by the town track hoe. I guess her gps said that it was a short cut??!

Last edited:
"parking? I'd call the town"

Yes, Inge is right make sure you do a "they" have been issuing ticket ($100) all of last fall to cars with a wheel or two touching the ashphalt!

Black Spruce is right!

A couple of w/ends ago, while checking out a back road in the vicinity of the Jay Range, I saw an trooper. It was on a dead end at the top of a very steep climb. There were 3-4 big pickups parked on the side of the road. One truck had a ticket as the others were well off the road. Then going up another back road I saw another state trooper! Obviously looking for other vehicles in disobedience. Be forewarned. :eek:

confused

I thought some trip reports I read indicated that the trail that roughly follows Styles Brook on a 1999 usgs map is the one people were using to approach the Jay range. It seems from what your saying that the styles brook approach is on private property. Any suggestions for the best legal way in there. We do not need a trail, open woods would do just fine. Buddy

not styles brook

The old path used to go up Styles brook and into M. Swamp. The new trail starts directly North at the jct of Jay Mt Road and that road that connects to Styles Brook Road. There is a pull off, at least in the summer, on the West side of the road and the trail starts at a DEC sign on the East side of the road at that jct. Check out the Nat Geo map(LP, High Pks). The trail is marked.

Thanks for the help

I did call the Town of Jay to find out about parking at the trail head. They were not sure if the pull off was plowed. Then I began to think that even if it were plowed, we would make it unavailible to other users for the 4 or 5 days we were in there. I ask a Jay local if there might be somebody near the trailhead who would rent us some off street parking. I found someone who was more than happy to help us out and would not accept any compensation. He did mention that they had to evacuate someone out of there a few days ago so he must be part of the local SAR team. I at least hope to be able to make a contribution to that organization as a token of our appreciation. As a note, I asked about obtaining permission to use the old access to Merrium swamp and was told that the current land owner would definately not grant permission. The hospitality offered by the townfolk was refreshing. Thanks for the imput and directions. Buddy

Buddy!

I am so happy that you have been able to settle the plans for your trip, it does sound exciting! And refreshing to hear that you found such helpful people! I am not surprised about the M. Swamp route, but they were probably "abused" by hikers ....
I look forward to reading your trip report!! Have a grand time! :D