Jefferson via Caps Ridge, Sat. 10/10, maybe Clay too.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
I'll be hiking Jefferson on Columbus Day weekend - up Caps Ridge (gain 2700'), down via Castle Trail, the Link, and Caps Ridge. Distance is 6.7.

IF time and energy levels permit, we might scoot over to Clay. If we did, we'd take Cornice from Gulfside to the Castle Trail on the return trip, in order to avoid a 2nd climb up and over Jefferson.

This will be a small group, going at "book time" pace or faster. I expect we'll be on the trail early. For experienced and physically fit hikers, please, ready for potentially cold temps and high winds above treeline.

We are not into wandering in the fog... if the forecast doesn't call for good views, we'll push it out to Sunday 10/11 or Columbus Day 10/12.

If interested, please PM me with your full name, best way to contact you, and what you've been up to for hiking/exercise lately.

In this sadly litigious world in which we live, I feel compelled to add - participation is, of course, at your own risk.

Thanks!

Hey blaze -
Have no idea if you have done this hike before - but if you have not I wanted to mention that that section of the Link is amongst the toughest "flat" miles anywhere - there are not two consecutive "quality" steps in that mile - I liked it, but it is very slow rough going. I have not done that chunk of the Cornice but it has a similarly rough reputation - I believe the WMG states that it is not faster or easier than going over Jefferson again!
Good luck no matter what you do - that is a great area - and do Clay if you can - it is incredible - finally got up there last month.

Thank you for double checking! I have been on all these trails before, with the exception of the Cornice. It has been a while though. That's really why I'm going back.

Agree that Clay is terrific. I have been there twice before, but have been in a hurry (presi traverse) on both occasions.

Latest posts