Jet Boil Fuel canister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the MSR Isopro 8 oz. container weighs EMPTY, or FULL? It says it contains 8 oz., (which I assume is only the fuel), and it weighs 11 oz. right now. So how much do I have left?

Found this for the actual Jet Boil canister. Thanks for the post as I often carry a "spare" because I don't know how much is left in the one I am using.

In a attempt to figure out what is left in the canisters after small trips.

I started to compare weights of jetboil 100g fuel canisters.

Well all I have to say is on top of the excessive price. The canisters don't even have 100g of fuel in them.

Jetboil canister empty 100G
Jetboil canister full 187-88g
Online found a forum 6.7oz = 189g confirming full weight

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-22848.html

Hi Tom there are couple of methods to find out how much fuel you have left, leave the cannister out on the porch so it gets real cold then hold it vertically over a source of steam. The vapor will normally condense more quickly at and below the surface level of the liquid in the tank. There is another method where you float the canister but I havent tried it.

Do note most of these cylinders contain a blend of different gases, each have a different boiling point and in cold conditions the lighter gases will boil off preferentially leaving you with a canister with a increasing high proportion of heavier gases that dont vaporize as well in cold conditions. The net result is as the cylinder is used up the performance of the stove in cold weather especially at high settings will be reduced sometimes substantially. In that case all you can do it warm up the canister with something warm of rig up some sort of reflecting heat shield which if used improperly can result in very bad things occuring but if done correctly only in cold conditions can make a big difference.