JR Hickey tribute

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that last evening, and figured that must be the one in the same "Hickey".

Wow, he's famous!!! Was Pete in the picture, too? Guy with the beard holding the axe looked awfully familiar............... :)

I saw that last night when I got home from work! I haven't had time to read the article yet, but saw JR in there along with the other "Gods of Rock." (Including some godesses as well!) Makes me wish I was about 10 years younger and had a healthy back.
God bless those young men and women who maintain our trails so very well!!

cantdog said:
Is it the same article that appeared in the most recent issue of The Canister?
Probably not, if it talked about the ADKs. The other article was about bridge building in the Catskills (over the Neversink).

cantdog said:
Is it the same article that appeared in the most recent issue of The Canister?
The Canister article is one written by Jean-René. This backpacker one is one that he apears in. I haven't been able to get the magazine yet, so I haven't seen it.

Last summer, Backpacker sent a writer/photographer to do a story in trailwork. He went with my son's crew while working on Algonquin... Around the time that Dianne and her kids ran into him...

For various reasons, it took over a year for the story to actually appear in the magazine. I did have access to some of his pictures, however, and may know which ones he chose.

I'll be looking for the magazine tomorrow... Unfortunately, due to timing and situation, Jean-René probably won't get to see it for quite some time.

My Backpacker arrived today and it certainly is a great article!

Now please explain to me exactly what is the "fall line".

BorealChickadee said:
My Backpacker arrived today and it certainly is a great article!
I still haven't found a copy. It seems that subscribers receive theirs before the newsstands do.

Now please explain to me exactly what is the "fall line".
In what context? It generally means the route a rock would roll down a hill.. as opposed to traversing.

In another context, it could be used to describe the queue of cars heading down to see the automn foliage.

Pete_Hickey said:
I still haven't found a copy. It seems that subscribers receive theirs before the newsstands do.

In what context? It generally means the route a rock would roll down a hill.. as opposed to traversing.

In another context, it could be used to describe the queue of cars heading down to see the automn foliage.

I was going to say "aren't we funny" but then I remembered you still hadn't read the article. :eek: It mentions that the trail up Algonquin follows the fall line and as a result is suffering erosion.

BorealChickadee said:
I was going to say "aren't we funny" but then I remembered you still hadn't read the article. :eek: It mentions that the trail up Algonquin follows the fall line and as a result is suffering erosion.
Then Pete's first guess is correct. In other words, it goes up as steeply as possible.