Ken's Children

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonadnockVol

Reaction score
I've read the site rules and I believe this post is in accord with them, even though it is asking for money. I sent an email to Darren last week, asking for advice/permission. I haven't heard back so I'm posting this and if he feels that it isn't a proper use for VFTT, he can delete it. Ken's widow has approved of the fundraiser. - MonadnockVol

Holmes Children Fundraiser

Kenneth R. Holmes died unexpectedly on January 15, 2004, while hiking in New Hampshire's White Mountains. A ranger at Monadnock State Park, he was both trained and equipped for winter hiking but unprepared for the drastic change the weather underwent on that day. Over a few hours, the temperature dropped to minus 44 degrees. During the same period, the winds rose to hurricane strength in excess of 70 mph. This combination created a wind chill of 100 degrees below zero, and Ken died of hypothermia.

Ken was 37 years old when he died. He left behind his wife of 20 years and five children. A fund for the Holmes Children was created at the Athol Savings Bank.

My Fundraiser

I knew Ken from my own volunteer work at Monadnock State Park. He was a good man and I grieve for his passing and I am concerned for his children. I am seeking to raise money for the Holmes Children Fund by climbing the 115 highest peaks in the Northeastern United States between May 1, 2004 and May 1, 2007. I am seeking sponsors to pledge a certain amount for every mountain I climb. Each time I finish 15 peaks, I will ask my sponsors to send in their donations. Since donations will be spread over a three-year period, I hope that you will consider the Holmes Children and give generously. Some suggested donation levels are given in the table below, but I would be happy to accept donations of any size.

Amt. per Mtn. // Total Pledge (Payable over 3 years)
50 cents // $57.50
$1 // $115
$2 // $230

Checks should be made out to: Holmes Children Fund. All monies collected will go directly to the Fund; I am paying all the costs of this fundraiser myself.

If you would like to be a sponsor, please send an email to [email protected] for further information. - Stephen J. Clark, 18 Boston Place, Keene, NH 03431.

One Time Donation

Darren suggested that I also make it possible for people, who did not want to donate over a period of three years, to give a one-time donation. I would be happy to accept any such donations and pass them on immediately. If you care to give a one-time donation, checks should be made out to "Holmes Children Fund" and sent to me at:

Holmes Children Fund
c/o Stephen Clark
18 Boston Place
Keene, NH 03431

or if you prefer, you can send your check directly to:

Holmes Childrens Fund
Athol Savings Bank
388 Main Street
Athol, MA 01331

Last edited: