kid friendly catskill hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Want my daughter (9) to have fun this sunday..need advise on kid friendly hikes...i also want it to be above 3500 for me..

She missed the quarry stone chairs going to Twin
She missed Balsam lake fire tower
I really don't want to do those again at this time.

What else is out there?...water, views...lean to

thx
ps...i have to many posts for a newbi

True, it is fresh in my mind from my Catskill completion ventur, but look at these photos! Approach Westkill from the east end and you have these beautiful falls (Diamond Notch Falls) to admire or wade or shower in. On a hot day they can be the highlight of the hike up Westkill. Then halfway up you can enjoy the cave shelter. Return the same route.

There were a number of suggestions in an earlier VFTT thread today, note especially the post by Rivet, that link contains quite a few suggestions. The Local Hikes website has good descriptions of hikes to Ashokan High Point, Huckleberry Point, Mount Tremper (fire tower), Overlook (fire tower and hotel ruins), and Westkill (mentioned by Aaron) which are good kids hikes. If you have Catskill Day Hikes for all Seasons by Carol and David White, consider the hikes to Red Hill fire tower and Windham High Peak. This book also has descriptions of several of the hikes mentioned in the earlier VFTT thread and on the Local Hikes website.

How about Giant Ledge/Panther Mt.? There are nice views, although there is no lean-to or waterfall or anything. The other nice thing is that the Ledge itself is a nice destination if that's all your daughter is up for, and if she wants to go on, you can push on for the summit of Panther. The summit is a little break in the trees w/ a steep drop-off and a nice view. If you do this hike, enjoy the views, just don't let her get too close to the edges. I've only done Panther from that side once, but I saw several children that day.

Matt

Thx guys...I do need to search threads on this site...Seems like i've been real lucky and have done a few of those hikes already...Westkill with Matt, but we must have done it from a different side..didn't see falls or perhaps because they were going so fast :( ..did Ledge and panther in winter with a friend...that was really cool and i didn't get close to the edge. :eek: ..red hill fire tower was my first hike in the catskills when my friend (jackcannine) was the volunteer. :) ..sounds like there are a few more to check and i have the book Catskill Day hikes...just gotta get the skittles, mm's...and other goodies! :rolleyes: and dvd for the ride up and back (she's not interested in the arcadia books i got for our trip in 2 weeks)

You should go for Ashokan High Point since you've done the others. It's one of my favorite mountains in the Catskills. Just make sure to wander around the summit to get all the views. Also try to go to Little Ashokan if you can where there are great views of the Hudson Valley.

You'll find earlier threads on AHP if you search the site.

funkyfreddy said:
You should go for Ashokan High Point since you've done the others. It's one of my favorite mountains in the Catskills. Just make sure to wander around the summit to get all the views. Also try to go to Little Ashokan if you can where there are great views of the Hudson Valley.

You'll find earlier threads on AHP if you search the site.

I would second this recommendation after going there a few weeks ago. The whole summit is like a big blueberry patch with views in most directions if you wander the summit. The trail up is nice too and not too hard.

Thx all...sounds like hot weather tomorrow....she wants to ride bikes and go to the beach...i was trying to force a hike to get her ready but i'm not pushing it...one day if she wants to then i'll take her..appreciate your help..