Kings Peak beta?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
I'm heading out west in a couple of weeks and have a very aggressive peak bagging trip planned :D:D:D. One of those is Kings Peak (Utah's high point). I've done the research, read the books and trip reports, have ordered my map but just wondering if anyone here can share some first hand experiences, info, suggestions???

Don't know if you're into SummitPost, but you can find tons of beta on Kings - TRs, climber's logs on the mountain page as well as the Southwest forum. What else do you have planned? I've got Boundary, Elbert and Humphrey's lined up for mid-September. For next year, I'm bouncing back and forth between King's/Borah or Whitney/Hood. Have a blast.

Kings

Puma concolor said:
Don't know if you're into SummitPost, but you can find tons of beta on Kings - TRs, climber's logs on the mountain page as well as the Southwest forum. What else do you have planned? I've got Boundary, Elbert and Humphrey's lined up for mid-September. For next year, I'm bouncing back and forth between King's/Borah or Whitney/Hood. Have a blast.

Kings
I'm also planning Humphrey's and Wheeler (and as many Colorado 14ers as time will allow). I've done Boundary, Elbert, Whitney and Hood so if you want any first hand info on those, feel free to PM me.

I have checked out SummitPost, there's often good stuff there!

The best tip I can give is to follow the contour after the gunsight. This will allow you to keep from dropping elevation. I camped near a lake and made a two day trip, but would go for a long day hike if I were to do it again. I had a lot of postholing but it was earlier in the season. enjoy!

It is beautiful and relatively straightforward up to Dollar Lake. I was there the first week in June and there was so much snow that I climbed the wrong pass and opted to bail from attempting the summit. I was solo and didn't want to get myself into trouble. Without the snow it should be a relatively easy path to follow. I attempted it as an overnighter and though you can hike it in one day, the camping up there is SO gorgeous I would suggest that you camp at least one night.

The read leading up there is dirt and gets a little rocky bear the end. It is a very serene area and I saw lots of wildlife. Have fun.

I have also climbed Humphreys and Wheeler and both have spectacular views and getting to the is easy with the directions from the highpoints book. I wish I was going with you. :)

sli74

TMax said:
It's not too late:D! But you still have others to get... How many do you have left?

No hiking out West for me this year . . . gotta save $$$$ . . . gotta "special day" in the works, ya know ;)

I haven't looked at my list for highpoints lately but I think I have somewhere in the vicinity of 25 left to finish so I am still slowly working on that . . . maybe next year I'll get out there for a few more.

Have fun and I look forward to your TR and pics.

sli74