Kinsman Pond Overnight - July 15-16, 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
I took my daughter Ezri on a fun overnight as she wanted to continue to chip away at her NH48 list. It was tough to fit in between other plans but found a window where we'd drive up Sunday night to Concord and then finish the drive up to Franconia Notch on Monday morning. This worked out well. As a bonus, there was time to swing back by the Beaver Brook Trailhead. I had left one of the side shields to my new sunglasses in the woods where I camp a few weeks back. Thankfully it was easy to find the spot and 15 minutes later I was back at the car with my missing piece. Hooray!

The plan was to stay at Kinsman Pond and I wanted to try some new trails so we parked at the Basin and took the Basin Cascade Trail. I really enjoyed this trail - it climbs steadily but never too steeply and there are lovely cascades along the entire thing. Twenty groups could head up and they could all probably find their own swimming holes. Then we were on the Cascade Brook Trail briefly before peeling off onto the Kinsman Pond Trail. Here we started off in some pine forests before it began to climb steeply. Dank boulder fields covered in wet moss made for slow going and we were both relieved when the trail leveled out just before the pond.

There was only one person at camp, someone deep in the shelter with a barky dog. We set up our tent on one of the platforms and with a light pack set off for the Kinsmans. The weather was clear and lovely up high and the views from N. Kinsman were excellent. We were tired and tried to enjoy a snack on the throne just past S. Kinsman but the bugs had other ideas and we soon had to retreat. The climb back up North is never as bad as it looks and soon we were back at camp which was now alive with activity. A couple families had arrived and taken over several platforms and the caretaker had returned. I learned the person in the shelter was an AT hiker who had sprained their ankle up on the Kinsmans. Now she was looking at a tough hike out the next day.

Ezri immediately crashed in the tent to nap but I was determined to have a swim in the pond. Several kids had found their way to a rock out in the middle and the caretaker had told me to follow the path in the lilies he cut. It was deep enough but the bottom of the pond felt like giant fuzzy spaghetti - an unpleasant sensation. I found a rock amongst the goo and perched on it for a few minutes. We had dinner in the kitchen area and chatted with the injured hiker Fishtank. A couple other thruhikers rolled in - funnily enough they didn't know each other but they were all flipfloppers who started in Shenandoah.

I didn't sleep well in the tent with my basic pad. A sporty thunderstorm came through around 1 AM. By morning everything was in the fog. We took our time packing up and hit the trail around 9 AM. We decided that Fishin' Jimmy might be a little easier to descend than Kinsman Pond - in the end it's hard to say if it was worth it but the promise of a break at the hut motivated Ezri and that was enough reason. It was slow going down Fishin' Jimmy but the weather finally turned as we neared the hut and we emerged into a sunny day.

We had a good rest/refuel at the hut and reunited briefly with the injured AT hiker who left before us. Now all we had left to finish was the 2.5 miles. We started on the Cascade Brook Trail until it hit the Basin Cascade Trail. It was a goodly slog now but we encountered a good number of day hikers over that last mile. You get all kinds of people coming up from the Basin. Near the bottom I could no longer resist the call of the cascades and I went in shoes and all. Delightfully wonderful. By this point Ezri was underfueled and very cranky. So we got back to the car, cleaned up and made our way to Lincoln for a excellent lunch of ice cream and french fries.

Awesome video (as usual). That route is the way I went to finish my 48 4k's back in July 2013. Really enjoyed those trails. Brought back some nice memories "hiking" it again. Might have to revisit this one.

Awesome video (as usual). That route is the way I went to finish my 48 4k's back in July 2013. Really enjoyed those trails. Brought back some nice memories "hiking" it again. Might have to revisit this one.
I had never done them before and really enjoyed Basin Cascade. Kinsman Pond Trail was also cool with those velvet rocks. Very cool mossy vibe in there.

I didn't consider how much pack weight would wear me out on this one. I was all cocky from doing several days in a row with light packs a few weeks ago. This was already a slog by the time we reached Kinsman Pond. That stupid goddamn tent weighs a ton. :ROFLMAO:

I took my daughter Ezri on a fun overnight as she wanted to continue to chip away at her NH48 list. It was tough to fit in between other plans but found a window where we'd drive up Sunday night to Concord and then finish the drive up to Franconia Notch on Monday morning. This worked out well. As a bonus, there was time to swing back by the Beaver Brook Trailhead. I had left one of the side shields to my new sunglasses in the woods where I camp a few weeks back. Thankfully it was easy to find the spot and 15 minutes later I was back at the car with my missing piece. Hooray!

The plan was to stay at Kinsman Pond and I wanted to try some new trails so we parked at the Basin and took the Basin Cascade Trail. I really enjoyed this trail - it climbs steadily but never too steeply and there are lovely cascades along the entire thing. Twenty groups could head up and they could all probably find their own swimming holes. Then we were on the Cascade Brook Trail briefly before peeling off onto the Kinsman Pond Trail. Here we started off in some pine forests before it began to climb steeply. Dank boulder fields covered in wet moss made for slow going and we were both relieved when the trail leveled out just before the pond.

There was only one person at camp, someone deep in the shelter with a barky dog. We set up our tent on one of the platforms and with a light pack set off for the Kinsmans. The weather was clear and lovely up high and the views from N. Kinsman were excellent. We were tired and tried to enjoy a snack on the throne just past S. Kinsman but the bugs had other ideas and we soon had to retreat. The climb back up North is never as bad as it looks and soon we were back at camp which was now alive with activity. A couple families had arrived and taken over several platforms and the caretaker had returned. I learned the person in the shelter was an AT hiker who had sprained their ankle up on the Kinsmans. Now she was looking at a tough hike out the next day.

Ezri immediately crashed in the tent to nap but I was determined to have a swim in the pond. Several kids had found their way to a rock out in the middle and the caretaker had told me to follow the path in the lilies he cut. It was deep enough but the bottom of the pond felt like giant fuzzy spaghetti - an unpleasant sensation. I found a rock amongst the goo and perched on it for a few minutes. We had dinner in the kitchen area and chatted with the injured hiker Fishtank. A couple other thruhikers rolled in - funnily enough they didn't know each other but they were all flipfloppers who started in Shenandoah.

I didn't sleep well in the tent with my basic pad. A sporty thunderstorm came through around 1 AM. By morning everything was in the fog. We took our time packing up and hit the trail around 9 AM. We decided that Fishin' Jimmy might be a little easier to descend than Kinsman Pond - in the end it's hard to say if it was worth it but the promise of a break at the hut motivated Ezri and that was enough reason. It was slow going down Fishin' Jimmy but the weather finally turned as we neared the hut and we emerged into a sunny day.

We had a good rest/refuel at the hut and reunited briefly with the injured AT hiker who left before us. Now all we had left to finish was the 2.5 miles. We started on the Cascade Brook Trail until it hit the Basin Cascade Trail. It was a goodly slog now but we encountered a good number of day hikers over that last mile. You get all kinds of people coming up from the Basin. Near the bottom I could no longer resist the call of the cascades and I went in shoes and all. Delightfully wonderful. By this point Ezri was underfueled and very cranky. So we got back to the car, cleaned up and made our way to Lincoln for a excellent lunch of ice cream and french fries.

Thank you for sharing. You should write formally about your adventures. 😁

I went up Basin-Cascades on my first trip (solo) to Kinsman in 1986. Lovely trail. Re: Your sleeping problem on the platform. Like you, I prefer my hammock. How do these shelter/tent sites handle hammock campers (if they do at all)? Access to water & the outhouse is always nice, but there'd be no need for a platform. I assume the fee would still apply for the use of the other services (water & outhouse).

Thank you for sharing. You should write formally about your adventures. 😁

Ha, thanks. I used to blog and document my adventures that way: https://rootandrocks.blogspot.com/ Making the videos took over so I don't do too much writing anymore.

Re: Your sleeping problem on the platform. Like you, I prefer my hammock. How do these shelter/tent sites handle hammock campers (if they do at all)? Access to water & the outhouse is always nice, but there'd be no need for a platform. I assume the fee would still apply for the use of the other services (water & outhouse).
I've been at these places in the off-season (or random days with no caretaker) and just hung over a platform. When a caretaker has been present they usually ask me to hang somewhere other than a platform in order to save those for tenters (who never show up and then I get salty). But yeah, you still pay the fee even if you aren't hanging over a platform.

I've been to the Kinsmans five times now - twice via Basin-Cascades, twice on the Mt. Kinsman trail, and once on Fishin' Jimmy. Stayed at the shelter twice, both times in the winter. Funny thing...I summited North Kinsman on each visit, but didn't go over to South until my last trip (which I did specifically to tag South at last). I thought it was too far/tough to get to. When I finally got to The Throne, I was surprised at how quick/easy it was. On one of the winter trips, a solo hiker carrying a huge tripod set up his tent on one of the ledges atop North. I envied him for the warm sun (and view) he got the next morning.

I had never done them before and really enjoyed Basin Cascade. Kinsman Pond Trail was also cool with those velvet rocks. Very cool mossy vibe in there.

I didn't consider how much pack weight would wear me out on this one. I was all cocky from doing several days in a row with light packs a few weeks ago. This was already a slog by the time we reached Kinsman Pond. That stupid goddamn tent weighs a ton. :ROFLMAO:
Hah! I had a similar experience. Did a Bonds/Twins traverse SUN/MON with a friend who is trying to finish her 48 4k's this Summer. I've been overnighting a bit this year and up until 2-3 weeks ago was doing my normal thing and feeling fit. I wound up struggling a lot more than I was expecting on the climbs the first day. Nice little reality check....