Kinsman Pond Trail to straight up to S. Kinsman ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
No big deal, but I was wondering if alot of hikers cut the Kinsman Pond corner and head straight up to S. Kinsman from the Kinsman Pond Trail. I'd be coming up from 3 for S Kinsman, N Kinsman and Cannon. thanks

A few years ago we went up to N. Kinsman by the Kinsman Pond plus Kinsman Ridge, then did S Kinsman. On the way down we bushwhacked to the Kinsman Pond Trail, avoiding going over N Kinsman a second time. I recall open woods, easy whack.

The idea was to avoid climbing up N. Kinsman on the way down, not to "cut the corner".

I don't think that "cutting the corner" on the Kinsman Pond Trail is a common approach to getting to S. Kinsman. Most people who do the Kinsmans (especially in winter) either head up the Fish'n Jimmy or across the Kinsman Ridge from Cannon. It might be shorter to whack up (or down) to S. Kinsman from the Kinsman Pond Trail, but I doubt that it is easier or faster than taking the Kinsman Ridge Trail...

Cuttting the corner used to be a fairly common descent route in winter. I used it on a couple of AMC trips back in the 80's. That way you don't have to go back over N. Kinsman.

dms said:
Cuttting the corner used to be a fairly common descent route in winter. I used it on a couple of AMC trips back in the 80's. That way you don't have to go back over N. Kinsman.
I have used it for ascent, descent, or both several times (never climbed K with AMC), including right after the blizzard of '78 when we wanted to minimize total distance breaking.

It was more useful when you could park at Whitehouse Bridge and the Kinsman Pond Trail was the easiest route. Now the Mt Kinsman Trail is probably easiest walking but more elevation gain, Fishin Jimmy most likely to be broken but otherwise miserable, and Basin-Cascade the joker in the deck.

Chip said:
thanks, my idea is to cut the corner on the way up to South Kinsman on the way to North K and Cannon.
If you reversed the trip you could hit S Kinsman then bushwack down to the Pond.

-dave-

thanks guys. my idea is to go straight up, get South then North Kinsman and ski down Cannon and meet my kids on the beginner slopes. I'm planning a similar outing for Wildcat. :)

Last edited:
It did cross my mind that if I timed it right I could get my gear delivered to the top :eek: but I'll be carrying everything the whole way, which will make me feel like I actually earned the free slide down.

When I hiked up Tecumseh and skied down Waterville, I used my kids 140cm skis. Still hit low hanging branches but was easier and lighter than my 180's. If I knew I was descending a groomed slope, I'd bring the snow blades.

SherpaKroto said:
Chip, do you want it to count as a winter ascent for the 4TFC? If so, remember that you would have to carry your skis the entire route, and not just pick them up at Cannon's summit and ski down.
Can you show me that rule in print? There has never been a rule that you must carry all your own stuff (spouses & kids often don't) so presumably another party member could carry them. Similarly, if you are allowed to have lunch in the Cannon restaurant where the food was brought in by mechanical power, or buy a T-shirt at an AMC hut that arrived by helicopter, does that disqualify you? Like the bicycle rule and sledding rule the 4k Committee is vague on this point.

Bravo for carrying the stuff anyway.