klymit-inertia-x-frame-ultralite-pad ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw these last summer @ Lahouts. I like any idea for saving weight. That being said, these skeleton pads seem a little extreme to me. Might be worth a try though.

I definitely wouldnt want one for anything other than summer as a pad typically acts as the only effective insulation between the ground and the body as most sleeping bags have minimal insulation due to the filling gets compressed. In hot weather it could be a plus. I also have experienced many times where conventional pad has kept my sleeping bag dry when water had gotten inside a tent due to heavy rain or just plan getting into the tent druing heavy rain.

The Campmor link says it goes inside the sleeping bag, but I guess one could use it outside, as Peakbagger mentions, I have also had the luxury of staying dry if water gets inside the tent due to the pad during heavy rain...

jay

This general class of pad assumes that you sleep flat on your back and never change position. Also very poor insulation against the cold ground. And as others have noted, no protection from moisture on the tent floor. In addition, any portion of your sleeping bag that sticks through the holes and touches the bottom of the tent will collect condensation (due to the surface of the bag being against a cold moisture-blocking surface).

Saving weight is fine, but one should also consider how much function is lost.

By comparison, my 3/8 inch thick REI blue foam pad (cut down to 74" x 20 "--two inches larger in both dimensions...) weighs only 7.5 oz--1.6 oz less than the X-frame even without its pump.

No thanks.

Doug

I think the idea of these is to allow the bag loft to continue to exist under you in the frame spaces. I did mention you'd still want something under the bag, like a thin ensolite. At that point the person said they mostly use hammocks...not sure if he thought this pad should be used in a hammock or if he realized you'd still need something under the bag in a tent or lean -to. Neat to see new ideas.