Lake Placid for winter family distraction activities ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Puck and I drove into Lake Placid Sunday morning for diner food and I was impressed with the amount of (apparent) activity there. Certainly plenty of shops, bars, restaurants, and hotels (although I would stay again at The Jack Rabbit - tough to beat the private room me and Puck had). I'm wondering what my wife and boys would do there while I hiked. Whiteface, from what I know, is steep and icey and does not strike me as snow-board and beginner/intermediate skier friendly - but I could be wrong there.

Anybody know what the popular winter Lake Placid family activities are ? (Other than hiking). Thanks

I will put in a good word for Whiteface from a skier and snowboarders viewpoint. The lodge is a friendly place w/ a family atmosphere! I think there is something for everyone that likes to ski/ride at Whiteface. Hope you check it out!
Great views too!:D

There are tours of the Olympic complex, skating on the world class Olympic skating ring, taking a shot at a bobsled ride, cross-country skiing on the jackrabbit trail, dogsled rides on Mirror Lake, etc... Lots to do for everyone! If your family wants a less intense day, there are all the cute little shops on the main drag.

And of course, any stay at the Jackrabbit is a good thing:D;)!

Depending on how far your family would go for down hill skiing Big Tupper is open on weekends now and there is Titus Mountain in Malone.

For a rainy winter day, you can always check out "The Wild Center" in tupper lake, they have snowshoe rentals but probably not good if it's rainy but one could spend half a day checking out the river otters and the movies and stuff.

Big Tupper ski I think is open this year...

Jay

I don't know if they still do this, but if you ever have a chance to see winter fireworks on Mirror Lake, don't miss it. It's spectacular with the colors reflecting off the snow and the explosive noise echoing off the mountains!

Chip great place to take the family...never a lack of things to do in Placid. Everybody has already mentioned the things I was thinking of...tobogan chute, Olympic tours, etc. Also, check that Lake Placid website for some pretty cool events that may be going on. Right before the 2002 Olympics we were there and there was an Aerial competition going on at the ski jumps. Not sure if it was qualifying or just a warm up, but we went. It was really cool to be walking around with Olympic athletes from all over the world! In March there's usually a World Cup snowboarding event going on. Obviously they have the stuff going on at Whiteface, but they also have a big bash going on at the speed skating track on Fri/Sat night with live music and all kinds of other stuff going on. I also know that Whiteface is hosting the US Alpine Championships sometime this March.

Check out this website:

http://www.lakeplacidregion.com/

Somehow, I am on their mailing list so they send me email on occasion. You can request the 2009 Activities Guide from a link there for family fun!

Did I say there is a Ben n Jerrys there?

Jay