Leaking MSR fuel bottles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
My MSR fuel bottles must be twenty years old. Packing for a camping trip in the Catskills, I noticed two were leaking very slightly. I couldn't tighten the top any further. I need to replace them, right? Is that something that happens over time? Thanks.

If the bottles are leaking, I would check out the pump and the stove connections and be sure all are good. Actually I would get the service kit and replace all the parts that can get dry and brittle overtime and you don't want that kind of failure on the trail or off.

Thanks, the stove and pump are new. The bottles alone are what's leaking. I'm going to check at REI for replacement caps and/or O-rings.

It’s a known issue. I’ve personally carried 2 burning MSRs out of Crag Camp in New Hampshire. The o-rings and seals wear out over time or fail in cold weather. The leaking fuel ignites, which melts the cap/pump assembly and perhaps negative results constitute good mountain safety research? Guinea Pig Flambé?

Perhaps time to move to a canister stove? Or you can the rebuild kit.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/expedition-service-kit/expedition-service-kit.html
I actually landed up loaning my MSR parts kit to someone at Crag one night after their rig blew a gasket. Bench test your stove before you head out to avoid any inconvenience.