Let's go Glamping!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, one of the many ways people try to compromise wilderness and civilization.

Persian rug? When I car camp I bring a doormat for the vestibule ... er, grand foyer ... does that count? :cool:

Hope AMC doesn't get wind of this. :eek:

One think I like about wilderness paddling over backpacking is that you can carry so much more weight including those luxury items ...

Stan said:
Persian rug? When I car camp I bring a doormat for the vestibule ... er, grand foyer ... does that count?
One time I was helping a friend move some household goods a few states over, on the way we camped at a state park where people had brought all sorts of conveniences

Unfortunately it was packed on the way bottom, but the next morning I nearly used a vacuum cleaner to remove the sand from the tent

Artex said:
Oh brother......... :mad:

Well put. For me, glamping is when I canoe camp on a wilderness lake. On such occasions, I will bring such luxury items as a cooler stocked with beer, other beverages and food, a Coleman Lantern, a couple of camp chairs, spare footwear and a tarp to set up in case it rains. When I backpack, I typically go minimalist.

Marty

Interesting article. Doesn't bother me one bit. No threat to me. It's their idea of a nice vacation. Gets them outdoors. Good for them.

I did like the new word "jetrosexuals".

At first my reaction was "Oh, puh-lease!" :mad:

But then...

There's a sauna and hot tubs on site
:eek: Oh my!

I started thinking how cool it would be to run the PCT carrying just a hydration pack, being crewed/aided from every road crossing.... at day's end having a personal chef making all my favorite dishes, a massage therapist to work out the kinks, and "camp manager" to set up the hot tub, solar shower and tent, deal with water, etc. All I'd have to do is run. :)

Having lugged a 25-50 lb. pack from GA to ME and playing sore, smelly, & starving thru-hiker, I think that would be way cool. :p

Dreaming.Stinky

Last edited:
Stinkyfeet said:
At first my reaction was "Oh, puh-lease!" :mad:

But then...

I started thinking how cool it would be to run the PCT carrying just a hydration pack, being crewed/aided from every road crossing.... at day's end having a personal chef making all my favorite dishes, a massage therapist to work out the kinks, and "camp manager" to set up the solar shower and tent, deal with water, etc. All I'd have to do is run. :)

Having lugged a 25-50 lb. pack from GA to ME and playing sore, smelly, & starving thru-hiker, I think that would be way cool. :p

Dreaming.Stinky

Well, I will be your chef :)

sli74

dvbl said:
Interesting article. Doesn't bother me one bit. No threat to me. It's their idea of a nice vacation. Gets them outdoors. Good for them.

I did like the new word "jetrosexuals".
Here, here.

To each their own. A lot of these people are the ones who write the $25,000 checks to save little bits and pieces of land that the rest of us now get to enjoy. Let them glamp to their hearts content!

I do, however, take exception to some of the upscale "clubs" that sleaze non-profit status and slink off the property tax rolls. No glamp for you.

makes me SICK! :mad: :)

Those people probably still think they're "roughing it."

I'm just mad I didn't come up with this idea first :D

But at my camp I'd let a bear run loose every night and sniff and growl at the cashmere tents.

Car camping is as comfortable as home...
I bring three sleep pads and two sleeping bags - two pillows too...
Weight is not a factor...
High quality food too...often will grill steak and shrimp...although I have had some meals like that in huts too...steak tips and rice pilaf at Carter Notch - I think the smell of it cooking was unfair to the thru hikers, but we did share some!

I just can't get too concerned about stuff like this. It's been happening forever, people enjoy the woods in their own ways. I've camped in the Great Gulf at -20 and I've stayed in very lovely mountain top hotels in Switzerland, sipping fine beers on the veranda before retiring inside to my 4 course meal. There's room for us all.

Considering the amount of money I spend on ski gear, I really can't cast any stones.

-dave-

Stinkyfeet said:
I started thinking how cool it would be to run the PCT carrying just a hydration pack, being crewed/aided from every road crossing.... at day's end having a personal chef making all my favorite dishes, a massage therapist to work out the kinks, and "camp manager" to set up the hot tub, solar shower and tent, deal with water, etc. All I'd have to do is run. :)
Just tell CaveDog it's his turn to be support :)

Latest posts