Letting your camera find it's way home

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Reaction score
Massassachusetts Avatar: It looks easy on t
I just read another found camera. These easy steps will help ID your digital camera by anyone who finds it.

1) Print out a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper with your name address and contact info on it.
2) Take your first picture on your memory card of the info sheet you printed out.
3) MOST IMPORTANT....Protect that image on your card so it won't be deleted by accident.

Now, if your camera is found they have the info to call you.

Don't forget the reward part. Most persons won't take it, but it just might help.

HikeSafe....Walker

Also, if you find a camera, pop out and look at the memory card. Often people will write contact information on the side of the card.

Since I format my cards on a regular basis, this wouldn't really work for me. I just write my info on a sticker and place it on the inside of the memory card door or on the outside of the camera, covered with clear packing tape.

walker said:
I just read another found camera. These easy steps will help ID your digital camera by anyone who finds it.

1) Print out a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper with your name address and contact info on it.
2) Take your first picture on your memory card of the info sheet you printed out.
3) MOST IMPORTANT....Protect that image on your card so it won't be deleted by accident.

Now, if your camera is found they have the info to call you.

Don't forget the reward part. Most persons won't take it, but it just might help.

HikeSafe....Walker

Great idea! I am not a high tech guy so this might work for me :)

Just had a similar incident with a cell phone presumably owned by a newbie. He left a note that he had lost a phone of a certain color and gave a number to call, but did not identify the provider or cell #. Later we found a cell phone of that color, but it had no ID tag, no name or phone #s entered into the phone.

I don't know how it came out but I'll bet it was his, what are the odds of 2 clueless phones lost at the same time :)

Some devices allow the owner's name/number/etc. to be added. If you have such a device, this is a handy mechanism to make use of. Of course it assumes that the finder knows how to locate that information.

Somewhere in here is a thread on found items and where to leave them. I believe it says legally you're bound to turn them in to the nearest police station. That's plenty of incentive to just leave them "unfound".

I put my e-mail address on things with a black Sharpie.

Tim

hikingfish said:
I added my contact information to my Garmin GPS's welcome message!

Fish

One of those neat ideas that seems obvious, now that someone else has thought of it. I saw that function and thought it was silly - lack of imagination on my part.

hikingfish said:
I added my contact information to my Garmin GPS's welcome message!

Fish
Yep, same here. Name,address, and phone. Should add email and VFTT handle too ;)

Last edited:
Since I've (ahem) lost a camera or 2, I have a saved document on the computer. After uploading my images to the hard drive, I format the card and take a picture or 2 of the document on the screen, which contains my name, phone number, message board ID, and e-mail address. I have similar, but abbreviated, info on my GPS start-up screen.

Amicus said:
One of those neat ideas that seems obvious, now that someone else has thought of it. I saw that function and thought it was silly - lack of imagination on my part.

I keep it very simple (you have limited space available in that welcome message):

Hello! If found, please contact [email protected] for reward $$$. Thanks!

Fish

Thanks for all those ideas.
A few years ago I lost my camera doing a bushwack in Waterville Valley. Figured I never see the camera again. Someone actually found it and brought it to the WV police. Since I didn't do any of the suggested labeling, the police look at the pictures and recognized my two dogs in the pictures. That was shear luck and advantage living in a small town.
Skibones

I've had this on my to-do list for most of the summer -- your post reminded me and I'll git 'er done today. (Good call about adding to the Garmin screen!)

I only wish I had thought to do this on my previous digicam, which I lost on the summit of Rusk in January '07. :(