Lillian Brook herdpath?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
How can I find the Lillian Brook herdpath from the Dix via Hunters Pass trail? Is somebody can help me, I have to do Hough, Carson and Grace soon.

Trail or Path!!!!!

Hi Yvon. ;)

It is very easy, before You will arrive near the Lilian Brook lean-to, You have just to look for the cairn... :rolleyes: ..and when You will arrive at the junction, left path go in the small campsite between Hough and Pough, if You take the right path You will go in the col between Carson and Macomb.

Have a good night.

Pinpin Junior

If memory serves, it's three-tenths of a mile beyond Slide Brook lean-to, if you start at the Elk Lake trailhead.

There was a cairn and a pink ribbon marking it last year, and it looked like this:

Image-7F9DA2B33A3811DB.jpg

It didn't look like much of a path, to me, but I didn't try to follow it; just ducked in to take a peek.

I may be checking out the Lillian Brook herd path this summer. My son and I climbed Dix last year, but as rain appeared imminent, we chickened out in dropping off toward Hough et al, so we need to get back and try again for the trailless quadrumvirate. This will give me a chance to make my first-ever ascent of the Macomb Slide and we'll probably try descending Lillian Brook rather than re-climb Dix.

The upper end is at that campsite in the Hough-Pough col, correct?

Kudos to you, BlackSpruce, for your work on the Lillian Brook herd path.

We took it last Wednesday and enjoyed it thoroughly. Well, except for that one uh-oh spot near the bottom, the one with the trick log. You must have put in many hours cutting blowdowns.

The only confusing spot we encountered descending from the Hough-Pough col is the cairn at the dry streambed which is just above the junction with the Macomb-South Dix segment. We started to follow the streambed, thinking we’d reached the junction, but quickly realized our mistake and returned to the path and soon reached the actual intersection. From there it was a nice, soft duffy stroll.

Thanks also to Pete Hickey (I assume he’s responsible) and his crews for their work on the herd path to Macomb slide. This was the first time I’ve been on the new path (and the first time I’ve climbed up to the slide) and it was a breeze. I guess the new path must cross the old path somewhere, but I never caught sight of it.

Which reminds me: Thanks also to the maintainer, whoever you are, of the Calkins Brook herd path. The blowdowns there have been completely cleared.

Latest posts