Limmer Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
The latest issue of Appalchia has the first of a two part article on Limmer boots and the family who has been making them. I had no idea these boots were so famous and popular. They seem to be a "badge"

Who has them and what do you think about them.

I came real, real close to buying the factory built Limmers about 15 years ago. In fact, I did buy them and then returned them in favor of a pair of Merrell Wildnesseseses.

From a value point of view, it was a horrible decision. The Merrell's completely fell apart due to the new fangled lightweight foam mid sole they were originally built with. The Limmers, of course, use traditional heavy leather mid soles.

But from a fit and performance point of view, I think I made the right choice. First, unless you are talking about the custom Limmers, there is no universal "best" when it comes to fit. It's all about finding a match between the factory's last and your foot.

Second, it seemed to me that the Limmers are fairly low cut in the ankle. I have loose ligaments and am prone to ankle sprains (and other related injuries) so I greatly prefer a slightly, more supportive boot in the ankle area. I finally retired my Merrells and am currently in a pair of Fabiano Rios, which are even higher. BIG NOTE: Ankle support is NOT the sort of thing where more is better, as a rule. Too much support hinders easy walking and I'm sure the Limmers provide enough support for many, many people. Just pointing out what I found to be a distinguishing feature.

I'm a huge fan of tradition norwegian welted boots and would own a pair of custom Limmers if I could afford them.

I bought a pair of off-the-shelf (Bavarian) Limmers in 1985 and they were my main hiking boots for over 10 years. I did much more backpacking and trailwork back then, so the weight and stiffness didn't bother me too much. The boots are bombproof, and were simply the only thing to wear when doing trailwork, logging, of timbersports.

Since then, my hiking is much more dayhikes and lighter weight. The Limmers are really heavy and when I switched to lighter boots it was an eye opener. The only time I wear heavy leather boots are during the month or so before winter when I want a heavier boot to use with crampons but don't need plastics yet. I actually have a pair of Makalus that I use instead, the Limmers haven't really fit the same since I resoled them in the mid-90's.

-dave-

I had a pair of Limmer Lightweights ("lightweight" being a very relative term) that I used for a year or two. They were off-the-shelf, not custom made. For some reason, they just did not fit my feet that well. :( The toebox seemed awfully small and tight to me so I stopped using them. I thought they would break in and my feet would get used to them, but that never really happened. Don't get me wrong, the boots were absolutely bombproof and a real work of art, but I just couldn't get that comfortable in them. I do still have them and if anyone wants a pair of used but not abused Size 10.5 Limmers for cheap, send me a PM.

Love my Limmers

I've had my Limmers for a few years now and bought them right off the shelf. Maybe I lucked out with the fitting but I just love them! Like everyone else has said they are bomb proof and can take quite a bit of abuse. I've been in the store a few times and I have to say that the guys who work there really know boots and the service was unbeatable. :)

-MEB

Bury me with my Limmers on

My "old friends" have been with me since they were made in 1980. They have been resoled four times now, with the last one done two years ago. They are the old Heavy Limmer "Standards" and, I used them for winter hiking for years. My "also old" SMC crampons still fit them beautifully. They have taken me to Europe 10 times, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, Eastern and Western Canada and the Western US. After you have worn Limmers for ten years or so they seem to develop eyes of their own. I worry that they will die before I do, but so far, so good. They cost me $160 in 1980, up from the then standard price of $140 due to being oversize (big feet). Today they are around $600 (custom). I grease then exclusively with the Limmer Boys grease, and once during a LDWA hike in Europe I had to resort to Bacon Fat. Not only did it work well, but they smelled delicious :D I once travelled First Class to Scotland on Icelandic Air wearing my hiking clothes and my Limmers. Boy did I get some strange looks. Wish I could afford to do that nowadays.

Last edited:
Order Time

I could be wrong, but I remember at one point the customs took a long time due to a back log. Not sure how long, but I think I heard 2 years or something. Not sure if I am correct or that this is still an issue.

I do have to agree that for trail work Limmer's are best. I went through many pairs of store bought boots while trail crewing and my crew partners that had Limmer's never needed to purchase new ones or repair them as long as I knew (2 years).

Badge?? Damn good boots. I bought mine, custom made, in 1980, they are insulated and I can use them year round. I have had them resoled twice, and they are better than new cuz they are perfectly broken in!

Last edited:
I have a pair that I bought from the Limmer store and was treated very well. The person who helped me was also an amateur radio operator so we had a few things in common. I love the boots but I still haven't been able to use them that much because I haven't had that much time to break them in. They are the Bavarian boots they import and the construction is excellent. They are almost worthy to frame but who would want to do that to a boot that was so obviously made to be used on the trail. It would be like putting a race horse on display. :D

Keith

Hillwalker said:
Today they are around $600 (custom).

I remember when I talked to Mr. Limmer he said that was an estimated price. Since delivery time was so far in the future (at that point I think it was a couple of years) he would only estimate the cost. He said that the exact cost would be given upon receipt of the boots.

Keith

dms said:

"Badges? We don't need to show you no stinking badges!"

let me explain...the article mentioned how it was a 'required' part of the 'uniform' for hut crew members. The boots were also issue for the forest service, state police et al. also most people on trail crews were wearing them. They don't seem to be a purchase that would be made by somebody who might stroll up to Lonesome lake every other year. They seem to be hard core and a badge that is earned.

Reactions: dms
Puck said:
Who has them and what do you think about them.
When my 15 yr old leather Asolo friends failed me last year I stopped by the Mountaineer in Keene Valley to look for something new. I knew of Limmers by reputation only as an outstanding custom made boot, very expensive with a several years long order time. I was surprised to see the Mountaineer had off the shelf Limmers in stock. I selected the "ultralight" model, mostly because the "lightweight" model was out in my size. "Ultralightweight" is a bit of a misnomer when compared to other boots by the way. It is still a substantial leather boot. "Lightweight" Limmers are as heavy as most other heavyweight boots. The sizing of this boot puzzled me. Normally I'll take a 11-11 1/2 boot, another pair I have is size 12. But the Limmer fit best at size 10 1/2 for some reason. Later I talked to Pete Limmer and he said that's normal.

Everything said about breaking in good leather boots is true. Wear them for an hour or two at most around the house at first, gradually increasing the time and terrain outside until the uncomfortable stiffness is gone. I've since worn these boots all summer, including a marathon 185 mile hike with no problems whatsoever. They are now the best feeling "glove fit" boots my feet have ever felt. Be sure you pick up some Limmer grease also.

BrentD22 said:
I could be wrong, but I remember at one point the customs took a long time due to a back log. Not sure how long, but I think I heard 2 years or something. Not sure if I am correct or that this is still an issue.
It was up to 4 years a short while ago. Not sure if the backlog has been addressed in recent years. AMC Trail and Hut Croos were at one point allowed to go to the front of the custom line, don't know if that perk still exists.

I once came into the store near closing time with a friend after a hike. We both still had our Limmers on and met Peter or Karl in the store. Kathy asked about a fix to some of welt stitching. At first he asked if we'd been using them to clear water bars; "Always use the heel of the boot, not the toe!" but we assured him that wasn't it. He told Kathy to put her foot up on the workbench, took out his pneumatic stapler, and fixed them up while she was still wearing them. Then he said, "Might as well do the other one while you're here" and did the same for the left boot as well.

And did you guys get a lesson from Mrs Limmer on the correct way to tie your boots?!

-dave-

David Metsky said:
And did you guys get a lesson from Mrs Limmer on the correct way to tie your boots?! -dave-

No. I met Peter and Karl and we talked for quite a while as well as the other gentlemen (the amateur operator) whose name I can't remember now. Never met the wife. Very nice group of people though. Very freindly and willing to take time out to talk and help. I had problems with some "hot spots" in my boots and they worked them and softened them. No problems with those spots now.

Keith

A horrible decision.

I had a custom pair made to fit my larger foot as is std. My feet are essentially 1/4 a size different and I have used many otc boots without problem. Though I tried, I could never get the limmers to work. I had no problem if my hike was 3-5 miles but whenever I went above 6 miles I'd get two nasty heel blisters - one on each foot. This went on for 200 miles then I thru in the towel and sold them on consignment for $90. I wish and hope the purchaser got many comfortable miles ... but, for me, I'm sure this was an impossibility.

Oh, by the way, I did go back into the Interval store and in an attempt to get the boots "fixed" They did try to fix them without success.

Spent alot of time and money for a custom fit pair of boots that were a terrible fit. Would not reccomend them to anyone. I am one very dissatisfied customer.

Custom Limmers turned out to be exactly the right thing for my hard-to-fit feet. They are, in fact, my most comfortable shoes, and I can’t sing out anything but the greatest praise for Pete Limmer, who measured my feet, and the boots the shop made for me. My only regret is that I waited too long in my hiking life to take the plunge and get Limmer footgear.

G.

SAR-EMT40 said:
No. I met Peter and Karl and we talked for quite a while as well as the other gentlemen (the amateur operator) whose name I can't remember now. Never met the wife.
Not the wife, the mom. She was hard as nails, and had no problems snatching boots out of the hands of people she felt wouldn't treat them well. I saw a guy pleading with her to sell her the boots, and she finally relented but made him promise to take proper care of them.

Her directions about how to tie the boots were basically to cross the laces, pull them tight, then pull them through the hooks so you didn't stress the hooks so much. Once you are ready to tie them make sure the knot is on top of the crossed laces so it doesn't cut into the tongue or the top of your foot.

She inspected the boots when people returned them for repairs and she was often very harsh with them. I think a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek but I wouldn't want to cross her. I think she may have passed on by now, but she's one of characters that make that place special.

-dave-

I heard a story that a customer offered them a large sum of money to put his name near the top of the list and the Limmers refused.

Indestructable Limmers

When we were driving over to NH every other weekend in the '80s working on the NE111, I stopped into the Limmer shop. They took many different measurements of each foot. I left a deposit, and 6 months later I received them in the mail. While heavy, they are indeed bombproof. Soft on the inside, rugged on the outside, with resolable Vibram soles that are just right.
While I use lightweights much of the time, the Limmers are perfect for above treeline travel, and out west were you're hopping around on scree all day. Also perfect ankle support for trailwork or humping a heavy load. Those original custom Limmers look like new from a few feet away.
I liked them so much that 2 years after I bought the first pair, I ordered a 2nd pair(they keep your measurements). I wore the 2nd pair while coaching youth soccer over a couple of months to break them in. They went back into the closet where they sit, waiting for the first pair to go kaput. They may never be worn again the way the first pair is holding up.
I just noticed John's comments about blisters. I had the same problem with a pair of heavy Lowa's that gave me blisters for years. I'm not sure why I felt the need to break in the Limmers as I never even had a warm spot on my hard to fit, different-sized feet.

PB

Last edited: