Lincoln Woods to Bond Cliff; lots of wildlife

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
My cup runneth over with wildlife encounters lately. I've been hoping to see newborn moose. Spotted this cow on the Kancamagus just after sunrise and upon approaching her I saw her calf tucked into the brush. I slowly followed them for a bit into the swampy forest...

6-21-07-002.jpg

6-21-07-011.jpg

She didn't mind my presence as they browsed and moved along through alders and striped maple. Suddenly, the calf trotted over to mama and...

6-21-07-032.jpg

6-21-07-034.jpg

6-21-07-039.jpg

Wow! What a moment! What a way to start a hike to the Bonds! It was cool and breezy on the Wilderness Trail, perfect hiking weather. About a half mile before the BondCliff Trail I saw movement in the woods up ahead so I froze. I could hear something moving toward the trail, and then...

6-22-07-044.jpg

He saw me and paused in the trail for a moment, then started toward me...

6-22-07-049.jpg

6-22-07-054.jpg

I've never seen antlers that big in June. One antler is already divided into three on the front part (which I call the thumb).

6-22-07-055.jpg

He got to within 25' of me and then left the trail. I followed for a while. A few times, he had to tilt his head to get his antlers between two trees. He's a monster!

6-22-07-079.jpg

continiued...

He kept moving in and after a half hour I decided to return to the trail. As I took a drink I saw a flash overhead and heard a "woop, woop, woop"...
There were two owls. The one I saw fly in quickly flew away, but then I saw this one...

6-22-07-127.jpg

Back on the trail, I soon hit the Bondcliff Trail, where there lots of ladies' slippers and bunchberry. A few parties were on their way down from Guyot Shelter. The looked cold. As I made it to treeline, it looked like the weather would calm down as the first bits of blue sky began to appear.

6-22-07-017.jpg

The wind was intense and i was hoping it would calm down, but it didn't. I had to tuck in to get out of the wind occassionally be cause my hands were getting numb inside medium-weight gloves as I enjoyed wildflowers...

6-22-07-010.jpg

Franconia Ridge was mostly in the clouds...

6-22-07-013.jpg

The wind changed my plans of a nice wildflower ridgewalk to Mt. Bond. I hiked back down, thinking I would enjoy the woods, but I must have seen my share of wildlife for the day. Back on the Wilderness Trail, I decided to do a little exploring and found a nice rock to sit on at the edge of a beaver bog. I was just about to leave when I heard something moving toward the clearing...

6-21-07-040.jpg

Deer seem more observant. Although I made no sound, this young buck smelled me, then spotted me. He darted back into the woods, stopping for another look at me before dissappearing...

6-21-07-045.jpg

What a day!!!

Happy Trails

Well, you didn't make it to Mt Bond, so it was an unsuccessful day, right? ;)

Geez...

Those are fantastic, the first nursing picture is astounding, the alpine flower shot perfect, and the owl's exposure exceptionally handled. Just an amazing collection from one hike.

On the record:
I'm officially going to start stalking you stalking animals. I will from now on only respond to 'Hey you behind the bushes'. Your ability to seek out wildlife and get close to them without alarm is truly a gift!

Would you say you encountered a plethora of wildlife? :p

That is awesome. Great pics. Memorable day for sure.

I encountered a bull moose in roughly the same spot on an early morning trip into the Bonds many years ago. He didn't come as close to me, and my shots are nothing like yours. What a day!

I'm sad :( :( :( OK, I'm really jealous.

I was the only one on the Mt. Tecumseh trail on Saturday. I saw several moose prints, and relatively fresh droppings. There were plenty of sections that were fairly open, and showed some trampled plants. I was exceptionally quiet. I sat still for extended periods of time. I didn't venture far off the trail. I thought to myself "What would Forestgnome do?"

All I saw/heard for wildlife were your average birds and bugs.

In fact I have never seen anything that I haven't seen in my back yard (which has way more deer than the hiking trails, btw ;) ) while out hiking. I've seen moose and deer in and around Waterville (deer elsewhere) while cycling, and moose while XC skiing, first thing in the morning.

W7xman -- you need to start stalking Forestgnome!

Outstanding, as always,
Tim

Last edited:
Forestgnome,

When there is a huge bull standing 25 feet from you, how does it make you feel? I've always wanted to come that close, but I'm pretty sure I'd be too nervous to enjoy it and freeze up. I've seen a baby and momma before on the Upper East Branch of the Pemi, and I had ample opportunity to take its pic, but I just stopped and stared instead. I didn't know what else to do. Then my hiking parter nabbed my camera and took a picture of them when it was too late. It was my second experience of a moose in the wild, but first well off the trail.

You must have quiet footing to see all those animals, especially deer. And, you're observant. Kudos to you!

grouseking

Business opportunity...

In relation to the bikehikeskifish musing about how to see wildlife in the woods....

I think I'm gonna make forest colored bracelets and have "WWFD?" stamped on them for "what would forestgnome do?" Or should it be WWfgD? Do we need that g in there?

I think anyone who reads your threads finds herself/himself wondering while out on our own explorations how you do it. Or what about if we put forestgnome's likeness on a bug head net that we can wear while sitting real still waiting so that the moose/deer/owls/etc. think "oh, there's that nice forestgnome...time to come out and play!" :D

I don't ever see this many large animals..but I sure like knowing they are out there in the woods watching us. Great shots.

A brief meeting with the 'nome led me to understand that he usually/often hikes off trail (although he sure didn't this time), is very quiet (travels light) and is very patient - willing to sit still and wait for something to show up...
If you hike like me - breathing like you should have oxygen tanks, swearing under your breath and clanking your hiking poles - well, you will be lucky to see a wild chipmunk!

Toe Cozy said:
In relation to the bikehikeskifish musing about how to see wildlife in the woods....

I think I'm gonna make forest colored bracelets and have "WWFD?" stamped on them for "what would forestgnome do?" Or should it be WWfgD? Do we need that g in there?

I think anyone who reads your threads finds herself/himself wondering while out on our own explorations how you do it. Or what about if we put forestgnome's likeness on a bug head net that we can wear while sitting real still waiting so that the moose/deer/owls/etc. think "oh, there's that nice forestgnome...time to come out and play!" :D

I don't ever see this many large animals..but I sure like knowing they are out there in the woods watching us. Great shots.

I think fg has a business opportunity -- as a guide!

Tim

Well, thanks very much to all for nice comments. I really enjoy sharing with like-minded folk. Yes, I do get a bit nervous sometimes when a bull is looking right at me with head lowered and I'm alone. I think I might be addicted to the fear/adrenaline rush. I've come to understand the thrill-seeker mentality and I wouldn't deny that there is danger in being so close to a moose, but it's such a natural high and I can't seem to get enough.

WWFD? That's funny! I would say just hike often and quietly. When I see wildlife I just relax and enjoy, and avoid appearing to be a predator. I also keep my camera bag on my sternum strap for quick access.

This thread was suppossed to be in 'Trip Reports'. I just posted another TR from a hike on Rob Brook Trail, and I saw another bull moose ;)

Happy Trails :)

sapblatt said:
A brief meeting with the 'nome led me to understand that he usually/often hikes off trail (although he sure didn't this time), is very quiet (travels light) and is very patient - willing to sit still and wait for something to show up...

In addition to what Mike mentioned above (off-trail, quiet, patient), I have found many of forestgnome's animal encounter trip reports to have another common factor: before/at sunrise. You gotta (usually) get in the woods early to see the good stuff. Can't show up at the trailhead at 8:30am and expect the moose to be waiting on the trail for you. It's too late. By then, the moose have already invited FG back to their pad for tea and bagels. Whether what FG does is an aquired skill or a gift (The Moose Whisperer? :eek: ), we can all at least increase our chances of these kinds of encounters by getting into the woods early....but please not on the same trail on the same day ;) .

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the ride. Keep 'em coming, forestgnome.