Long Trail Festival, Rutland VT, Aug 17th - 20th.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
I heard about this from Jan (gonna-be-there-with-her-new-LT-book) Liteshoe:

Town: Rutland
Date(s): Aug 17, 2007 to Aug 20, 2007
Days/Hours: Noon-7 pm.
Type(s): Fair & Field Day
Educational
Music-Acoustic
_ _
_
Getting There
Address: Route 7
Rutland , VT 05701
Phone(s): (802) 282-2237 Event Phone
Web Site(s): www.longtrailfestivalvt.com

Carmel said:
I thought this was a beer festival...i won't admit publicly that I am a little disapointed.

:)

Carm

It's a hiker fest, the odds are it'll turn into a beer fest :D

RoySwkr said:
Note that this is not sponsored by the Green Mountain Club but possibly by a local religious group
The parents of Buddha '03 are the originators of the LT Festival. :)

Apparently Rutland Parks & Recreation is now on the steering committee

Assuming my knee recovers in time, I'll be Northbound on the LT at that time. I'm having a hard time figuring out if it would be worth hitching over to the festival and if so, what day would be the best.

Just saw the no dogs allowed policy when I looked for more info. I'll be hiking with my dog the first 10 days, so I'll skip the festival.

I hope to be there, will try to wear orange Wantastiquet T-shirt to opening ceremonies

Note that the web site now has a better schedule of events

Here is the lowdown on the Long Trail Festival acquired from speeches and conversations over 4 days:
The festival was the brainchild of a Rutland couple familiar with Trail Days in Damascus VA which now attracts 35,000 but started with a dozen hikers. They booked the fairground a year ago and asked for help from the Green Mountain Club, but were told no staff time was available and for some reason the GMC didn't even list it in their newsletter. At the actual event, the GMC executive director made a fine speech and GMC leadership was provided for a trail work project. When the organizers had trouble acquiring the liability insurance required by the fairgrounds, Rutland Parks & Recreation covered it under their umbrella policy and also allowed tax exempt donations as well as loaning equipment. The city was pleased and would like to see it again next year.

About 750 free tickets were handed out at the gate but more people probably came in, campers were maybe 10%. Dogs were allowed after all and there were at least half a dozen, some wandering around without leashes. I was on the cleanup crew and next to last to leave and there was essentially no trace of this horde. The fairground manager was also pleased with the event.