Long Trail Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for reading and map sets and guide books for doing the Long Trail? I just picked up a small map, and wanted to start to do some research.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Christine

The LT Guide and the first two resources (map and E2E guide) suggested by Toe Cozy were my main print resources for planning my thru-hike of the LT. The Gazateer would be especially helpful if you are planning on doing section hikes. I'd recommend carrying the map ETE guide with you (btw: I found the ETE's estimates of elevation change less than useful), but the descriptions of resources near trailheads and road crossings were a big help.

The twin sites www.trailforums.com and www.trailjournals.com have sections devoted to the LT which are very helpful.

Edit: I have a journal at www.trailjournals.com/pedxingLT

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
The Long Trail Guide is pretty standard.

You should certainly buy this book if only to support the GMC

Note however that a new edition will be published this spring so wait to buy it if you can

Thanks for all the great information.
I will certainly pick up a copy of the trail guide, just to read through and make sure I can accomplish this, and I will wait until April to pick up the end to end guide because the site said they produce one every year to be as up to date as possiable.
I am getting excited about the idea, even though it is the infant stages, but it gives me some goals to work on this winter.
I will check out the trip reports and the web sites suggested as well.
Thanks!
Christine

Christine- think seriously about the DeLorme VT atlas as well, getting to some of the trail access points is an adventure in itself.
Damon

No problem there. I am going through Freeport on Saturday to return some things at Beans and I will swing into to visit Earthra and get some new maps. Finding the trailhead to Waumbeck was an adventure in itself, I am going to prepare myself, and those kind enough to help out, with proper and maneagable directions!
Not like that time I did the Bigelows back, oh 25 years or so ago, when a simple pick up in Stratton turned into a major ordeal involving the State Police and the Farmington McDonalds at 3 am....
Hey, the REALLY weird thing is they ALL hiked with me again. :eek:
Happy Trails!!
Christine