Looking for info on trail building and maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking for books, links, info, etc. on trail building and maintenance as I'm a rank beginner but have pledged to do some work on the Long Path in the Catskills. I would appreciate all of the advice you can give. Thanks, Fred :)

funkyfreddy said:
Hello everyone! I'm looking for books, links, info, etc. on trail building and maintenance as I'm a rank beginner but have pledged to do some work on the Long Path in the Catskills. I would appreciate all of the advice you can give. Thanks, Fred :)

I'm sure Pete Hickey will post here, but I do know that the AMC sells at least one book on trail creation and maintenance.

This is the AMC Trails bible. It's a very good resource, highly recommended.

Start slow, and work with someone who seems to know what they're doing. :) The most important things to do at first is clearing out waterbars, cutting back brush, and clearing blowdowns. Get familiar with the trail before you start building things or moving rocks.

-dave-

funkyfreddy said:
but have pledged to do some work on the Long Path in the Catskills.
I would SUSPECT that whoever is delegating you with the authority to do the work, would give some kind of training/instruction/etc.

Books are fine. The AMC one is excellent, however there is a certain local 'style' that you won'T really get from a book.

The NYNJTC does trail building workshops on occasion, look for it in The trailwalker

Jay

You're a good doobie....make sure you get photos of yourself carrying your pick maddock, shovel, loppers, bow saw and bucket o' blazing paint! I agree, the AMC book is the trail maintenance benchmark......

Thanks in advance for your service...... ;)

...Jade

David Metsky said:
This is the AMC Trails bible. It's a very good resource, highly recommended.

A friend let me borrow his copy. Useful indeed!

Used trail maintenance handbooks

Before Carl Demerow, the AMC Trail Crew was led by Bob Proudman (now Director of the ATC in Harpers Ferry) and then Reuben Rajala, who also wrote excellent trail maintenance guides, which can be found used at:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Robert+Proudman&y=10&x=36

I wish that trail maintenance organizations and volunteers paid more attention to clipping, especially to benefit those who like to hike in rain and the winter. The term "trail standardizing," which is an important chapter in Proudman's books, refers to clipping back the brush such that a 4 ft by 8 ft sheet of plywood tied onto an AMC packboard can be carried on the trail without obstruction (i.e., cut the branches back close to the trunk and as high as one can reach, and if necessary remove the encroaching saplings altogether at the base of their trunks). Besides allowing passage without one getting drenched by wet branches, scalp wounds, and poked out eyeballs, clipped trails also dry out more quickly as the sun can better reach the muddy sections. Clean water bars are important, but so is a well clipped trail, IMHO.

A little help from my friends

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Before Carl Demerow, the AMC Trail Crew was led by Bob Proudman (now Director of the ATC in Harpers Ferry) and then Reuben Rajala, who also wrote excellent trail maintenance guides, which can be found used at:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Robert+Proudman&y=10&x=36

I wish that trail maintenance organizations and volunteers paid more attention to clipping, especially to benefit those who like to hike in rain and the winter. The term "trail standardizing," which is an important chapter in Proudman's books, refers to clipping back the brush such that a 4 ft by 8 ft sheet of plywood tied onto an AMC packboard can be carried on the trail without obstruction (i.e., cut the branches back close to the trunk and as high as one can reach, and if necessary remove the encroaching saplings altogether at the base of their trunks). Besides allowing passage without one getting drenched by wet branches, scalp wounds, and poked out eyeballs, clipped trails also dry out more quickly as the sun can better reach the muddy sections. Clean water bars are important, but so is a well clipped trail, IMHO.

If the good DR will contact me, I could sure use some help brushing out my trail section some weekend (or weekday). I am currently in the process of standardizing my 2 mile section of the AT. And I agree with what he says about brushing. It also keeps the ticks from satisfying their questing mode as hikers brush by.

Hillwalker said:
If the good DR will contact me, I could sure use some help brushing out my trail section some weekend (or weekday). I am currently in the process of standardizing my 2 mile section of the AT. And I agree with what he says about brushing. It also keeps the ticks from satisfying their questing mode as hikers brush by.

Already got my part of the AT, Glen Cliff Trail on south side of Moosilauke, which I have volunteered to maintain through the DOC with a friend for the past six years, but thanks for the offer. But, I highly recommend having an accomplice in trail maintenance.

Hey Fred -- if you like, join the 3500 Club Trail Maint on Table and Peekamoose on Saturday, June 4. There you will learn to do clipping, cutting even cleaning out waterbars. Please bring work gloves and tools will be provided.

Moose

I wanted to say thank you to everyone that has posted or sent me info on trail building and maitenance. I like getting info and learning from as many diverse sources as possible, have to pick and choose wisely what projects to get involved in given my limited time.

What has caught my attention about the subject recently is the politics of trail building..... very curious indeed in some cases...... I think this deserves a thread of its own in the near future! :D