Losing Our "Magnetic Attraction"?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I shouldn’t have thrown out those two compasses this year. I thought they became demagnetized, must be they were picking up on the pole shifting. :D

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I guess it could be a little while longer before I finally see the northern lights. :eek:

Previous studies have shown that the strength of the Earth's magnetic shield has decreased 10 percent over the past 150 years.

Captain, the shield's down to 90% and I canna hold 'er much longer! An' what's that big square block that's gainin' on us????!!!! :eek:

did you know....

that you can travel east or west for an eternity, but you can only travel north or south for a limited amount of time?
do you know why???? :D

I've actually been aware of this for some time, although probably b/c I was a geology major. It's well-documented that the magnetic polarity of the earth flip-flops every so often and, when it does so, the magnetic field that protects us from UV rays (among other things) pretty much disappears. There are rocks that have magnetic crystals in them that set into place when the rock forms/cools. By looking at the crystals, you can tell what the earth's magnetic polarity was at the time. When you look at the rocks across the Atlantic Ocean floor, the crystal orientation occasionally completely reverses (with little to no intermediate orientations). By knowing the age of the rocks, geologists can determine how often the magnetic poles reverse. It's pretty fascinating stuff, especially if you're a dork like me.
Geologically, the polarity reversal occurs pretty quickly, but it probably takes in the 100s to 1000s of years. It is reasonably suggested that we are entering into a polarity reversal, which, of course, has all kinds of interesting repercussions - not the least of which being increased difficulty in bushwhacking in the Whites!

<moderator hat on>
This is a duplicate of this thread and was started just a bit after. Please continue the conversation in the "Bushwackers Beware!" thread.

Thanks.
<moderator hat off>

Status
Not open for further replies.