Lost 11 year old found alive

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo! Saw that on the news this morning... 4 Days, that's one lucky and resourceful kid, despite his lack of a "good sense of direction" :)

Jay

Great news!

With a 2 1/2 year old that I am trying to expose to the outdoors I could not even watch this story...I looked away when it was on the TV or changed stations when it was on the radio. I am so glad that this story turned out well...being somewhat cynical I was not that hopeful.

All of you with children. Teach all of them to Hug-a-tree if they get separated as well as carrying a whistle and essentials. It helps keep them secure, a little warmer, not burning energy and most important. It keeps them in one place so the search crews aren't searching for a moving target.

Hug-a-Tree

NASAR'S hug-a-tree

Keith

A point of interest is that he "hid" from his rescuers. In the book Deep Survival, Larry Gonzales discusses that kids in that certain age group are sometime difficult to find because they do hide for their rescuers. They believe that they are coming to harm them, not rescue them.
Very happy to hear that he was found alive and well.
And to think they had scaled down the search. You just never know.

Thanks for the good news, Chip. This one really looked dicey. A growing problem in SAR for younger children is their fairly recent training not to talk to strangers and how to teach them to distinguish one situation from another. In addition to SAR-EMT's good avice, the HikeSafe program, a joint venture of WMNF and NH F&G, has a page for kids (and parents) with some other good tips (hug a friend, dog, etc.). Navigation buttons are hard to find--they're just below the banner.

I hike with my kids (9,7,3) almost evry weekend and I find it quite useful to remind them (almost ever hike) what to do if they get lost. I would also recommend to teach kids how to read a map at an early age and let them lead on some hikes. Hug-a-Tree has some very useful information to share with your kids.