Lost on a Mtn in Maine...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Christmas! Swamp mentioned to me this book when we were at Nesowadnehunk cabin in Baxter this past Jan and thought I'd see if my library system had it, which they did so I borrowed it. Didn't realize it's written like a children's book, double spaced and pretty short so took me like 3 days to finish it, each day being a chapter. Anyway, pretty interesting, there are notes in the footers about the events as narrated by Donn Fendler but written down by an adult whose name escapes me.

Good read, and Donn is still alive though he would be about 80 years old now (12 years old in 1939) and living in tennessee. the website:

http://www.donnfendler.com
has a picture of him from May 2007...

Jay

My son and I listened to an audio version of the book some years ago. If memory serves, the opening was read by Donn himself, then his voice faded away and a young boy’s came up, who read the rest of the book. I brought along the printed version at the same time, which had a little more information than the cassettes did. It carried us through a trip down to North Jersey, and we finished just as we arrived at the hotel.

What a story. I wish there had been a little more information about his dad, who I believe was in the hospital when Donn was found, wasn’t he? Hadn’t he suffered a heart attack from the stress?

Yes, I believe this was mentioned in the "afterword" the main part of the book is written by somebody but narrated by Donn. The Afterword was a short part of what was going on while Donn was lost for 9 days and although the book didn't really go into too much of why Donn's father was in the hospital, it did mention the actual family reunion occurred in the hospital room.

Jay

Don't know if he still does it, but for years he did visits and readings at elementary schools around Maine. A great story!

Some years ago I borrowed the audio version from my public library. It was the first audio tape I had listened to and was awed by the quality of the reading of the story, both by the author at the beginning and the boy throughout the rest of the tale. It continues to be a favorite audio book of mine and I have the print version as well. An amazing story. If you haven't read it, add it to your list! Christmas! It will change you.

Mad Townie said:
Don't know if he still does it, but for years he did visits and readings at elementary schools around Maine. A great story!

My dad was a principal in Auburn, Maine for a few years. Don came and read for his kids at the school once. Sounds like he is real nice guy, I enjoyed the book quite a bit.