Lost on Katahdin(or around)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavisiii

Reaction score
I was up hiking the traveler on Sunday and on the way out on of the park folks told me about a search going on for somone lost over around Katahdin. Anyone know of the out come

R

These are the only details I know:

On Saturday, there were 3 hikers staying at a lean-to in Roaring Brook. The car plates were from Quebec. According to their campground neighbor, they had small day packs with them and set out to hike Saturday a.m. It was pretty cold on Saturday night and they did not return. On Sunday, it was very windy and SAR set out up to Chimney Pond, where they had signed in on Saturday. They searched various trails and found nothing, wondering if the group had planned on spending the night out (illegal backcountry camping). By early Sunday night, they still had not been found. According to the Roaring Brook ranger, they found their way to the Tote Road about 3 miles south of Roaring Brook on Sunday night/Mon morning. He said that they took a side trip down the Knife Edge and bushwacked for 2 days to get to the road.

This is all I know, and I'm very happy it turned out ok. It made me feel a little better knowing that the BSP rangers -do- check out the log books and cars to ensure everyone has returned safely.
-Liza

I just heard that someone spent a "grueling" night on Katahdin last night - supposed to be on the 11pm news.

from the Bangor Daily News:

Near the 3000' level on the Hunt Trail, a 56 year-old man from New Jersey fell six feet onto his back. His pack was caught in some boulders. He dislocated both shoulders. Approximately 50 people were involved in the rescue, a carry down the Hunt Trail.