Luxury ADK winter weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
There is a meticulous and inexpensive (roughly 50 bucks for double occupancy) motel on the Ausable River 3 miles North of Keene on the 9N that has "gathering" written all over it. The Ark Trail Motel has about 11 rooms, a games room heated with a big wood stove and a large but cozy dining area with adjoining kitchen. This is just a feeler but I was wondering how much interest there would be for taking it over for a weekend this winter. We would have full run of the entire place including the kitchen and dining room if we rent enough of the rooms.

If there is enough interest I'll contact them and then post some numbers.
I'll post this on http://ADKhighpeaks.com/forums also.

Guinness said:
Hey Neil,

I recommend the Ark any time I can . The weekend of Jan. 14/16 looks good (especially since you will busy the weekend before in the sewards, hint.... hint).

Ed
I almost forgot. That weekend (7-9)I have an appointment to take my car in and have the licence plate lights rotated. Shucks.

Guinness said:
Hey Neil,

I recommend the Ark any time I can . The weekend of Jan. 14/16 looks good (especially since you will busy the weekend before in the sewards, hint.... hint).

Ed

That one wont work for me.....that's the winter gathering in Maine weekend.
The only other one I can't make is Feb 11/12 which is Canadian Ski Marathon w/e.

OK, I'm confused......

I understand the weekend of Jan 14/16 is the Maine gathering, but for us folks that can not make it to Maine (me), means we just might be as well congregate in the ADKs for a well deserved hike and party. Let's call it the "Wish I was there, Maine 2006 VFTT Gathering" we can at least send pitures. I found over the years that there is something to climb in the ADKs even when our brethren are in Maine being served by the Doctor (right Sherpa......)!!!!!! Any one up for breaking trail?

P.S.

"licence plate lights rotated" ?????? Now I have heard them all.

Last edited:
It looks to me like there's interest in this. It would be a very nice weekend. I hadn't thought of a date but let's not forget, winter continues until March 21st. Personally, I like the idea of some time in february. Like someone advised, I'll post a poll soon.
As for reserving rooms, once a weekend is settled upon, what if I have the motel set aside all of their rooms for us but then everyone deals individually and directly with the motel reserving and paying for their room as "Joe from VFTT" or "Sally from VFTT"? Has anyone organised something like this before?

Sounds like a sweet trip. Great area. I would guess that Ward and I would be interested. We're going to be climbing up there the first weekend in February, so any additional weekends would be a bonus. I'll keep an eye open for the polls!

I'm up for the idea (weekend dates don't matter as much since my schedule is pretty open and I've pretty much devoted this winter to skiing, climbing, and hiking :D ). I'll be up there for an avalanche course that weekend (Jan 14-15) at the MountainFest so I would prefer it be a weekend when I can actually get out onto the trails.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting to me! I hope I have that friday off..... Yes I do... I'm game...

Carol, maybe we can carpool...

Jay

Sounds great!

I have been looking forward to spending some time in the 'Dacks and getting to know the area around Keene. I'm in - date depending! (I am planning to go to the Maine gathering in Jan.)

Before going to the trouble of setting up a poll and having people vote etc. I'm going to call the Ark and make sure we can have the run of the kitchen and dining area.

Stay tuned....

I am interested but also want to hike the Sewards and dix hikes 1/7-1/8 and 1/21-1/21 respectively so maybe February would be better? there is no way i can get up there three weekends in a row
Al