Machu Picchu information needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2ro

Reaction score
Hi Alligator X's,
I am going to Peru, I am going to Peru!!!
Yeah!
So I need advice and information. Is the Inca Trail worth it? What's the best way to get there? How do we get the permits and how far in advance. Is there another trail better to get up there (less crowded, less $, nicer)?
Any other piece of advice regarding Peru will be very welcome.
Gracias
R2

lx93 said:
Never been there, but speak near-native Spanish- if that helps you, let me know.

kinda funny you say that lx93 cause he is actually from Spain and a native spanish speaker.

R2ro is a friend of mine and I told him he'd get a ton of help here so all you Peru experts, come on out of the woodwork :D

sli74

I plan on going there later this year also. I have a thread started on it over on summitpost.com in the south america section. Some really good replies on how to do it on the cheap, and best ways to get around. Lots of info on flights to cuzco and trains from there, and which hotel to stay at. Even guide info for the walking in the ruins. It might still be on the first page, but you can find tons of info there even if you don't find that specific thread.

sli74 said:
R2ro is a friend of mine and I told him he'd get a ton of help here so all you Peru experts, come on out of the woodwork :D

sli74
A certain someone has been there, and has traveled quite extensively through Peru. He says he traveled overland from Caracas to Machu Picchu and back. Don't forget to take the "switchback" train, either to or from Machu Picchu out of Cusco. A certain someone also hopes you have at least 1 month of vacation time, as there's alot to explore down that way.

Michelle said:
A certain someone has been there, and has traveled quite extensively through Peru. He says he traveled overland from Caracas to Machu Picchu and back. Don't forget to take the "switchback" train, either to or from Machu Picchu out of Cusco. A certain someone also hopes you have at least 1 month of vacation time, as there's alot to explore down that way.

well tell the certain someone thank you for the info and I will let arturo know. But, I think he is only going for two weeks :(
I am envious anyway.

sli74

FANTASTIC place

I was there back in 1967. Bring lots of digital cards or film - you'll want every bit of it. Back then we were able to sleep out in the ruins. I think they now even prohibit backpacks inside the park so people don't steal archiological treasures.

I it is still allowed, climb up to the peak of Huyna Picchu. We did that very early in the morning in order to watch the sun rising over the mts east of the Pilcomayo River. You climb up via finger/toe holds cut into the face of the mountain by the Incas.

Be sure to keep a close eye on your belongings so they wind up coming home with you.

Great!
Thanks a lot
hillman1 said:
I plan on going there later this year also. I have a thread started on it over on summitpost.com in the south america section. Some really good replies on how to do it on the cheap, and best ways to get around. Lots of info on flights to cuzco and trains from there, and which hotel to stay at. Even guide info for the walking in the ruins. It might still be on the first page, but you can find tons of info there even if you don't find that specific thread.

Great,
Thanks.
Tell A certain someone that someone that someone is certainly going to rock Peru in 12 days. That's all I've got.
That's probably enough time to get sick of my 2 very "Gringa looking" traveling companions who don't speak a single word of Spanish.
Back off Pizarro, I am going to show you how this should had been done.

Michelle said:

When are you heading to Peru??

I am booked for Dec 19th- Jan 6th...have lots planned and time un-planned!!

Can't wait, have been doing lots of research!!

Bolivia said:
I was there back in 1967. Bring lots of digital cards or film -
[...]

Be sure to keep a close eye on your belongings so they wind up coming home with you.

Yup, my girlfriend got all her bags stolen when she went there, only a couple of hours before taking her flight home. Cameras, memory cards, outdoor stuff. All stolen.

Fish

Check out this book:

book

That book is part of a new series that doesn't offer too much detail on various hiking trip, but it serves as an excellent overview and it's an awesome recruiting tool if you are trying to convince others to join you on this (tons of pics & colorful maps).

I used the one for the Tour du Mont Blanc a couple weeks ago and it was pretty good.

- Greg

Last edited:
I went to Machu Pichu about 10 years ago. At the time the only way to get there from Cusco was the train or Inca Trail. As far as I know a road has not been built since I was there. The train ride takes you through some beautiful valleys under snow capped peaks. Not the most luxurious ride, but not too bad either.

At the foot of Machu Pichu is the town Aguas Calentie. This is where you'll catch the bus that will take you up the mountain. In the town there's lots of little restaurants, shops and hotels. There is also a hotel outside the main gate of Machu Pichu, but I'd suggest staying in the town instead. There's not much to do on the mountain once they close the gates for the day.

Inside the ruins you can go where ever you like. Bags are permitted and a hike up Huyna Picchu is definitely worth it! Best view at the site.

One other suggestion, if you stay in town you'll have the luxury of staying in the ruins after the day-tourists leave (they have to catch the train back to Cusco) and getting there in the morning before they arrive. You'll have the place all to yourself to explore.

Definitely bring a LOT of film, batteries, memory cards, etc.

P.S. Watch out for spitting llamas.

Macchu Picchu is worth going to, no matter how you get there. However, if one of your goals is serious hiking, I think there is better to be found than the Inca Trail. Check out hiking in the area of the Cordillera Blanca, near Huaraz. Depends how much time you have. Of course, that's just my dos soles.

amf

I'm planning on the Inca Trail, mostly for the history of it. I think if I'm going than I would be very dissapointed not to hike it.
I am also signed up for Mountain biking through The Sacred Valley, and then cycle through Andean villages and Cycle La Raya Pass> I'm also going to Lake Titicaca to kayak and stay with a homestay family, and play a little soccer. (If I can run & breath at that elevation). :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for going horseback riding while in Cuzco???

I have a few days at the start of my trip, while acclimating and would love to check out their Peruvian horses.

Do I need an adapter for the electrical?? Camera battery chargers???

Thanks for any input!