MacNaughton/Wallface questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Hey there,
I plan on getting out to the adk's in a couple of days.
I heard there was a lot of beaver activity going on around scott clearing.
Has anyone been through this area lately?
I'd like to check out MacNaughton but, wonder what the extent of the flooding is around there and the trail to scott pond.
Also, is there a herdpath or suggested bushwack to wallface?
besides the vertical way!
Thanks.

Both MacNaughton and Wallface are bushwhacks (no herd paths) from that side. Expect the trail up to Wallface Ponds to be extremely muddy, (think Bradley Pond Trail in the Santanoni’s muddy). Good luck

Have been up both peaks in the last 2 months.
Suggest you consider climbing MacNaughton via the Upper Works and the route up the brook a little ways past Hunter Pond.

For Wallface, we went up the Wallface Ponds outlet from just past the leanto on the Indian Pass trail, and came down the NE ridge, hugging close to the top of the cliffs. We liked the descent route better than the ascent route and suggest you go up that way. There are trip reports for both over on ADKHighPeaks.com.

PB

When the flagging ends, either go into the brook and wade or rock hop-or, cross the brook and enter the woods on that side for a ways. The woods on that side are a little thick, but much easier to negotiate than the blowdown. Above the blowdown, it's pretty easy to stay right in the brook. There's one old flag as we mentioned right near the end of the brook. Look for a herd path to the left and follow it all the way to the ridge.