Maine 'whack-fest, too - May 19, 20, & 21.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
poison ivy's post "Whackin' in Maine - April 29 or 30?" got me thinking... I'm heading up to the
Maine Roadhouse on Rt 16 between Rangeley & Stratton on Friday May 19th for a weekend of ME3K 'whackin.

The Roadhouse has a large bunkroom, private rooms, kitchen facilities, tent platforms, reasonable rates, and is very hiker friendly! It's location is surrounded by NEHH, ME3K, and of course 4K peaks.

Is anyone else interested?

Onestep

I have tentative plans for hiking the 20th elsewhere, but I've been tossing around the idea of heading up to Maine on the 21st for a to-be-determined NEHH bushwhack. I'll have a better idea of my plan a little closer to the date.

So, basically, I might be interested, depeding on what you're planning for Sunday and what happens with my schedule. :)

- Ivy

Last edited:
I'm heading up to the area Friday morning and will probably hit an "easy" peak and/or check out logging roads. If anyone is interested in hooking up early Friday just let me know, otherwise plan on meeting Friday night (or Saturday morning/night) at the Roadhouse. Sunday morning's O.K. too!
I’ve been asked ‘what’s on the agenda’ for the weekend. Well I'd like to ‘whack both of the Black Nubble peaks, and the 2 Redington 3k peaks, but will be open to other suggestions. I'm hoping everyone who comes up does so with a 'whack in mind (and with maps) so when we get together in the evening there will be options to choose from.
I'm looking at this weekend as a chance for 'whack enthusiasts to get together and put a face to the names we often see in the jars.

Onestep

it's allmost here!

O.K. here's the plan... I'm heading up early Friday morning to do a 'whack. I'll settle into the Maine Roadhouse sometime in the evening. If you'd like to hook up Friday let me know otherwise I'll see most of you Friday evening / Saturday morning 7:30-8:00.

Depending on logging road conditions, I'm looking at doing the Black Nubble / Reddington peaks (5). If roads aren't passable, we'll fall back on plan B... you are bringing plan B aren't you?

I've been asked if this is a 'group whack' or not. Well, it might be, or not! We all have different goals and ambitions. I'm looking at this as more of a gathering of like minded folks who have been bitten with the rare and secretive affliction known as 3K fever.

'whack-on

Onestep

-
Freedom is having more money than you need.
There are two trails to that destination.
One requires a lot of money.
The other doesn't <g>.

OneStep, the col between Black Nubble and the south peak is horrible, it's dense, high spruce, and steep ground, you might try to drop off the ridge a bit, maybe conditions would be better down lower. Good luck!

dms said:
OneStep, the col between Black Nubble and the south peak is horrible, it's dense, high spruce, and steep ground, you might try to drop off the ridge a bit, maybe conditions would be better down lower. Good luck!
Yikes!! :eek:

We're thinking of approaching these peaks from the NW via logging roads off RT 16. If thats not possible we'll try from the South via the military roads....... shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone ;)

Onestep