Making Safe Drinking Water (on the trail)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
When I was a kid and a member of the Boy Scouts, I recall learning about how to identify safe water sources and the supporting conditions. Since then I have generally found water in the woods when necessary and have never become sick from its consumption. I may just be lucky on that point. If that’s the case the odds are probably building against me with each trip that includes on-the-fly water consumption.

I have noticed what appears to be an increase in the number of day-hikers that are relying on finding water sources on the trail. Trip reports are mentioning water filtration more frequently, or so it seems. Perhaps for some reason I am simply more sensitive to this hydration-related topic than in the past. It could be that since we’re out of the freezing conditions that render a filtration system useless they are coming out of storage.

I’m interested in learning more about on-the-fly production of drinking water.

Filtration:
Are people generally comfortable just pumping through a good filtration system? What is the typical life of a filter cartridge? Any pointers on types or brands of filters to avoid?

Chemical Treatment:
Is treatment enough? Are there folks that only use treatment? Which treatment?

Combination:
Is it necessary or overkill to use both approaches? Do people combine filtration and treatment?

Any experience-based guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

For me, at least, filtration is more a weight issue than a health issue. Since water is the heaviest item I carry, I will only carry enough water to safely get me to the next water source. Years ago, I would think nothing about filling my canteen with water straight from a stream without thought to its safety. Nowadays, filtering is second nature and I do not over-think the issue. I stop, filter, and move on.

I do most of my hiking in the Adirondacks, and when I started I simply carried a sierra cup hooked to my belt (anybody remember those?) and dipped it in whatever stream I came to. Sometime (in the 80's maybe?) Giardia became an issue in the Adirondacks. I never caught it, but knew people who did, and I would much rather avoid it if at all possible. I have tried various chemical treatments (chlorine, iodine, etc.) but don't like the taste, so somewhere along the line I picked up a Pur Hiker filter. It doesn't weigh too much, is pretty easy to use, and you can literally get clear water from a mud puddle. I'm not even sure what type of filter it uses (ceramic?), but it is "Giardia-proof". Well worth the extra weight and marginal inconvenience.

BIGEarl said:
I have generally found water in the woods when necessary and have never become sick from its consumption. I may just be lucky on that point. If that’s the case the odds are probably building against me with each trip that includes on-the-fly water consumption.

BIGEarl - resist! DONT' let THEM get to you!! :eek: Wash your hands, not your brain :D :D
I still drink raw water... have so since before Madison Avenue tramatized us with visions of wolfs releiving themself in streams. LONG before THEY invented giardia ;)

BIGEarl said:
Chemical Treatment:
Is treatment enough? Are there folks that only use treatment? Which treatment?
I use Polar Pure exclusively. Some reports say it isn't enough, but I've used iodine treatment for more than 30 years without a problem, and I'm out in the backcountry a lot. The taste really doesn't bother me and it doesn't deter me from drinking heartily. One bottle will last a lifetime without expiration or becoming exhausted of iodine. The only bottle I've ever broken is dropping from a height on a concrete floor at home. On long backcountry trips they are small enough to always carry a spare.

Boy Scout high adventure treks in the Adirondacks also issue Polar Pure and I've never heard of any of them having a problem either. Actually, from several treks I have been on, most often one of the scoutmasters will have a personal filter system which more often than not becomes clogged after a couple of days or less... usually from improper use or letting a boy drop the intake in the muck. There's always a bottle of Polar Pure to rely on for the rest of the trip.

Last edited:
I use an MSR Miniworks that has a ceramic cartridge you remove and scrub when flow slows. Really easy, field friendly. Cartridge life "rated" at 100 gallons, but I think that's real conservative.

The Pur Katadyn Hiker filter cartridge life is rated at 200 gallons. It's a pleated Glass-fiber element filter with a carbon core that can not be cleaned, only replaced.

They both have "pre-filters" on the intake to remove big stuff.

I carry 2 or 3 liters during the day and will filter water with the Miniworks when needed and will boil water on overnights. I carry tablets but have never used them.

I've filtered and boiled pretty religiously ever since locating a very large, very dead porcupine in the water, up stream from a base camp we had been at for several days, drinking straight from the steam... :eek: BLECH, ICKY, SPIT, HACK :mad:

:) :)
Starsky: Wrong answer, Big Earl.
Bartender: Big Earl? I'm not Big Earl, I'm Jeff.
Hutch: Yeah, sure, no-one's who they say they are.
Bartender: Seriously. Think about it, I'm not even big.
Hutch: Yeah, he's got a point.
Starsky: Maybe it's one of those ironic names like Tiny over in vice. He's like eight feet tall and everyone calls him Tiny.
Hutch: Except this guy's kind of normal size, he'd have to be a lot smaller for a name like Big Earl to be ironic.
Starsky: You don't have to be a midget, how tall are you?
Bartender: I don't know, 5'9"?
Starsky: Well that is kind of?
Hutch: It's borderline, it's average.
(Sorry, I saw your user name and couldn't help it!!!!)
:) :) :)

In the old days I would always drink from streams and never had anything bad happen. I still do it if I carelessly run out of water but think about the source before choosing.

A water filter weighs a lot less than several quarts of water for a long hike. So do chemicals. Both take time and energy to use.

BIGEarl said:
Is it necessary or overkill to use both approaches? Do people combine filtration and treatment?

Last year I stayed at a leanto where somebody I knew claimed to have gotten giardia. I put tablets in the water after it was filtered.

Then there's the old Marine who was asked how they dealt with all the unhealthy water. He said first they filtered it, then boiled it, then put in chemicals. Then to be absolutely safe, they drank only beer.

RoySwkr said:
Then there's the old Marine who was asked how they dealt with all the unhealthy water. He said first they filtered it, then boiled it, then put in chemicals. Then to be absolutely safe, they drank only beer.

I've had a pretty rough couple days at work. I just took a break from all the crap to read some posts here and this quote really hit the spot! A cold beer would hit that spot even better!!!
:D

So that this isn't just a fluff post:

I use a First Need purifier/filter and I love it. It attaches to wide and narrow mouth nalgenes and in about 35 easy pumps I've got a liter of crystal clear, tasty water. If water tastes bad I'm not likely to drink it just because it's not appealing, so good (looking, smelling, tasting)water is important to me. I haven't yet carried it on a day hike, but maybe I will in the future. It is a ceramic canister filter and lasts for 300 gallons. It weighs about 1 pound.

RoySwkr said:
There is a good bit of truth in that...

Filters will remove bacteria and cysts. Most water treatment chemicals kill bacteria, viruses, and (depending on which chemical) may kill cysts slowly (several hours). Boiling kills all of them.

So in certain parts of the world (where viruses are a problem), if you filter, you will also need chemicals. If you use iodine, you only need to use .5-1ppm to kill the viruses which is tasteless (rather than the usual 4-8ppm for bacteria which is not tasteless).

Of course, none of the above will help if the water is contaminated with certain chemicals (such as arsenic)...

Doug

Last edited:
I am now thinking that I should have put a fence around the target area. My main hiking interest is the White Mountains (northern New Hampshire). It makes sense to expand that area to include the mountain areas of Vermont, Maine, and upstate New York.

This is the general area where I expect to be filtering/treating water.

Thanks for the help on this.

Stinkyfeet said:
Anyone here have experience with the Steri-pen? It uses "UV light to destroy waterborne microbes" and is very, very lightweight.
Lawnsale looked it over and reported his results in an earlier thread. A search should find it.

Doug

I use either a Sweetwater Filter or iodine tablets, and in general start a hike with two liters; relying on water sources for the balance.

While I loathe the taste of iodine, in a pinch I've used them, and they are handy in winter. Adding koolaid or any vitaminC rich powdered drink additive neutralizes the flavor of iodine, but just make sure to add it after 30 mins so the iodine has time to disinfect the water. Also, while backpacking sometimes filtering becomes a chore, and I'll just iodine instead. FWIW, its not recommended to use iodine continously longer than 30 days. (and I can't remember why but I think it can be problematic for the thyroid gland if used to frequently???)

I love my Sweetwater. I've had it for several years now and replace the ceramic filter cartridge about once a year depending on usage.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13614&memberId=12500226

There's nothing like the taste of fresh, cold, filtered mountain stream or spring water!

I've had giardiasis, and I don't recommend it! I used boiled water and then iodined it in Nepal; and still got sick. :confused: Guess it wasn't boiled long enough.....I agree it all depends on where you are and the quality of the water. In extreme circumstances while backpacking, I've had to resort to using some pretty yucky water, which I boiled first, then let the sediment settle, then carefully poured off and STILL I threw in some iodine tablets, just in case. No way was I running that through my filter and gunking it up.

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
FWIW, its not recommended to use iodine continously longer than 30 days. (and I can't remember why but I think it can be problematic for the thyroid gland if used to frequently???)
Tests using iodine for long periods (.5-1mg / liter for 15yrs) showed no problems. However, people with certain thyroid problems or (rare) iodine allergy should use other methods.

Source: Wilkerson, "Medicine for Mountaineering".

Doug

I also use polar pure, the taste doesn't bother me, and if it did I would just take a bite of food. I add nothing to my water because then it would add one more thing to clean.

Onestep has a good point though. I think Americans are more a culture of paranoia than intelligence.

grog

I use Aqua Mira (chlorine dioxide drops) and carry it on every hike. It has worked great for me, as well as several backpacking buddies. It is a bit more complicated to mix than iodine, but is supposedly a bit more effective and the taste isn't as nasty, IMHO. A lot lighter than carrying a filter, too.

Marty

We use an MSR Miniworks at every water source. We even use filtered water for cooking just to be sure. We've kicked around the Aqua Mira idea, but ultimately feel that along with filtering out the nasties, the filer also filters out the floaties and other things that make water less fresh.

Not to hijack the thread, but if you use a filter get one of these:
SilNylon Waterbag
With this you don't have to bend and contort while pumping. Fill the bag, hang it on a nail at the shelter or on a tree branch and pump when you need it. If the source is just a trickle, it's not much help, but it works great in most streams. Plus at 1 oz, it's worth it.

It seems so counter productive when I come to a stream I cup my hands full of untreated water to splash on my face to cool down, then I wipe my face dry with my camp towel, which seems to be a perfect place for the bacteria to grow into a thriving community, but I'm still alive, praise the Lord.

grog