Making Screwboots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step 1: Buy Stabil-icer replacement screws.

Step 2: Screw them in.

Did you do a search here? Tim Seaver posted some great info a couple years ago.

OOH , a potential CONVERT!

Everything you need to know about joining the First Church of Screwbootery can be found here
We welcome the tired, the sick, and those who slip around.

Tim Seaver said:
Everything you need to know about joining the First Church of Screwbootery can be found here
We welcome the tired, the sick, and those who slip around.

Wow, Tim! Thanks for sharing! That is awesome! I can't wait to get into the basement workshop and play.

Question, how do you find the crampons work on the flexible light weight snowboots like those pictured on your site?

This winter will be my second season of winter peakbagging and I plan to get serious about it. That means better boots than I normally hike in and I was leaning towards Koflach Degre's -- but I don't relish the idea of long miles in them. Most of my hiking is in the Daks, how do you/others feel about a more flexible snowboot type boot (Cabella's or Sorel's) with crampons??

Thanks a bunch!
Sabrina
:)

The Kahtoola crampons (definitely get the steel model) will pretty much work on anything you have, from running shoes to heavy boots - they are made to flex. If it's super-duper icy, the 1" points feel a bit wimpy compared to "real" crampons, but for most non-tech stuff in the whites, they are the bomb. IMO, you can boogie along over the icy/rocky terrain of the NE much more efficiently and safely with a soft boot/short tooth crampon combo than a stiff boot/long tooth crampon.

I have been using Salomon's "Snowbow", (replaced but not equaled by the B52) for almost all my winter hiking, instead of mountaineering boots. I wouldn't use them in extended sub-zero cold, but for less-than-arctic day hikes they are great - super-comfortable and light, with just the right amount of stiffness. And they have a stiff blocky tread that is perfect for screws.

(There are still some discontinued Snowbows floating around the internets, particularly for women. Here's some Here is another deal on a newer model: Scrambler FG )

Some boot sole compounds don't hold the screws nearly as well, possibly because of their softness. My friend uses the North Face "Lifty" boots, which have a very squishy compound, and they don't hold the screws well at all, particularly along the perimeter of the boot. Another potential snafu is the clearance between the crampon and screw placement, depending on what kind of lugs are on the sole.

Unfortunately, this class of insulated but light boot hasn't seen that many entries from other manufacturers, although there are a few from North Face, etc. Maybe this year some more will hit the shelves.

What other light winter boots are out there, folks?

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
This winter will be my second season of winter peakbagging and I plan to get serious about it. That means better boots than I normally hike in and I was leaning towards Koflach Degre's -- but I don't relish the idea of long miles in them. Most of my hiking is in the Daks, how do you/others feel about a more flexible snowboot type boot (Cabella's or Sorel's) with crampons??

Thanks a bunch!
Sabrina
:)
My crampons (Charlet Petzl) fit my Sorels and my Montrails...I have not used them a lot, but they work well with either...one issue I have with the Sorel type boot is that I cannot lace them tight enough around the ankles - and my ankles seem to need that...

Tim Seaver said:
What other light winter boots are out there, folks?

Tim - A couple of years ago I noticed that Cabella's had a similar boot to the Snowbows called the Avalanche, and I suggested it to some of my friends. Three or four bought a pair, and everyone raves about them. They're reasonably priced, and often go sale.

One of the friends did the 'NH4K's in one winter' list, and told me that he mostly used them, so there's another vote. Like you, I used the Snowbows for that list (mostly) and they provide good support for snowshoeing and occasional crampon use.

Just checked out Cabela's - and here's a link.

Another good boot is Columbia's Bugabootoo (or something like that).

I just remembered that a friend of mine years ago used goggles over his glasses that had a fan built into the goggle( guess it had a battery). Not sure if it's still available.

Kevin,

Thanks for that link. I checked out the Cabela Avalanche snowboots based on another thread (you mentioned them :) ) -- and you can't beat the price!

I have Black Diamond Crampons, they were an EMS rental I bought used at the end of thier season, so I am not sure the model -- but I doubt they are flexible enough to use with softer boots?

I've read of making winter bicycle tires using roofing nails and an old pair of MTB tires...

This WikiHow article might help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Bicycle-Tires-Into-Studded-Snow-Tires

I never wound up making my own, it does take time and bought a pair of Nokian M&G tires which I've used... Doesn't help in deep snow but it does help with black ice, and perhaps hardpack snow/ice after say an ATV goes through snow.

With a boot, also, you wont be screwing them from the inside, lest you want to try to make a custom insole to cover the screwheads. But some short small head screw may work... SS for rust prevention...

With that information, you can probably make your hob boots or screwboots as you call them...

Jay

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
...I have Black Diamond Crampons, they were an EMS rental I bought used at the end of thier season, so I am not sure the model -- but I doubt they are flexible enough to use with softer boots?

Are they the Contact Strap model? If so, they should be as good as any other as there's good flexion in the toe. Personally, I like Grivels, as the bar is easy to adjust, but since the Grivel distributor is now located in Utah, they're harder to find in stores.

Not a bad idea to put a spare bar in your McGiver kit, along with some nylon wire ties. If you can't find them locally, contact BD. They have excellent customer service.