Manhunt in Catskills for suspect in trooper shootings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be hiding out at the leanto at German Hollow on the Dry Brook Ridge trail (not far from the summit of Dry Brook Ridge on the CAT100). :) The Dry Brook ridge trails runs through/to Margaretville where the shooting took place. Mudhook actually sent me a link to this.

Margaretville is on Rt 28, a few miles west of the Belleayre ski center and is a common place to hike BLM/Graham/Doubletop.

Jay

I'm watching the news and it seems this guy was hold up in a house in Margaretville off rt 30. The troopers shot tear gas into a window and the house caught on fire. Looks like the troopers are buring the house to the ground to get em out. I hope they got the correct house? :eek:

paul ron said:
I'm watching the news and it seems this guy was hold up in a house in Margaretville off rt 30. The troopers shot tear gas into a window and the house caught on fire. Looks like the troopers are buring the house to the ground to get em out. I hope they got the correct house? :eek:
Not really, I heard the house was owned by a seasonal resident, who was a retired law enforcement officer. I doubt they would have torched his house, unless there was no other way!

Police don't torch houses to drive people out. But if a fire starts with someone inside who has weapons and disregard for human life the Fire department will not approach the house until the person comes out and is secured or it is obvious the person cannot possibly still be a threat. It is likely that the CS (tear gas) canister fired into the house started the fire. This is not uncommon. Most of those generators that I have seen get very hot, some purposely and some just as a by product but I don't have experience with all of them. It is also possible that Trim started it. It is likely that Trim killed himself before or shortly after the fire started.

Just speculation on my part. The autopsy will tell lots more.

Keith

Sad stuff. The State Policeman who was gunned down was from the next town over (assigned to Albany or Catskill-based group). The house erupted in flames after they shot in the tear gas... wonder if he had turned on gas/propane or something was hit.

Probably just touched off some drapes or a couch or something like that. Like I said this isn't uncommon. My guess is that he was probably already dead, probably suicide, so there was no one to try to stop the fire.

Again, speculation on my part.

Keith

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your friend. Condolences to you and the troopers family. Wishes for a speedy recovery for the other trooper who was shot.

Keith

Beyond the human tragedies, the locale is of interest to many here.
At the risk of stifling discussion, I think we've probably exhaused any new, related-to-hiking information. Lets close the discussion by saying prayers for all of the families touched by this event.

Thank you,
Alan