Map image from Garmin GPS track

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Tramper Al may have to fill in some details but this is the question:

How do you make a map image (.jpg or .gif file) from a Garmin GPS track?

Al has a Garmin Summit (I think) and he recorded the track of the bushwhacks we did last week. His software shows them and he sent me some files that his software produced: (a .tpg file and a .tpo file) but I can't read these.

Anyone know how to produce standard image files from Garmin software that can be posted etc.

Thanks
Pb

NG Topo software

Seems like National Geographics Topo software.

You can convert the map to an image (JPG, GIF, BMP). I think it is under the file menu (File => Export Map to Disk). The program puts a rectangle on the map which you can resize to the area that you want to clip.

ExpertGPS

I just bought this after using it as a demo for several weeks. It'll do topo maps and ariel photographs, using Terraserver as a source.

Re: NG Topo software

Rivet said:
Seems like National Geographics Topo software.

You can convert the map to an image (JPG, GIF, BMP). I think it is under the file menu (File => Export Map to Disk). The program puts a rectangle on the map which you can resize to the area that you want to clip.
Garmin doesn't use NG Topo. It has its own proprietary map software, MAP SOURCE.

Frosty

Topo! pics

Hey,

By the time the track is downloaded to the Topo!/NG program, I think the nature of the GPSR unit becomes irrelevant. I have never used any Garmin software except maybe that bit initially to set up the device for you use with the Topo! software.

It looks like "Export Map to Disk" will work, though you don't see this as an option until you have outlined your map in (conventional) print mode. You get your choice of various image formats.

Thanks for your help. Some guy I know really wants to know where the heck we hiked last week!

The tpo. is NGTopo's graphic data,which shows any tracks or bookmarks,etc.. on the map.

The tpg. is NGTopo's data of waypoints and routes at the bottom of the tpo. They have changed it I believe. He must have an older version like me. The newer one will convert it over I believe also.

From NG you can print or export. Al was right when the track is loaded into NG's Topo it doesn't matter anymore what unit it came from.

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
On a somewhat related note - I just noticed that Garmin has a major upgrade to its MapSource software. The release is dated May 24, 2004.

Kevin, you can register with Garmin for email's when updates are put out for your software and units.

Papa Bear,

What you can do is have Tramper Al save it has a jpg file. He'll have to do it in the following manner:

1) With the track displayed on his computer screen, hold down the "Alt" button and the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard at the same time.

2) Open up Microsoft Paint (located under Programs, Accessories on most computers).

3) With Paint now open, click on "Edit" from the menu at top and select "Paste."

4) Save the file. It will be saved as a bmp file, but once it is saved you can open the file with a photo management program, and then save it as a jpg file.

Not sure if this helps or answers your question, but it works.

In fact, click on this link for an example. This was generated from Topo!, but the process above should work for any map software.

-John

Last edited:
Re: Topo! pics

Tramper Al said:
By the time the track is downloaded to the Topo!/NG program, I think the nature of the GPSR unit becomes irrelevant. I have never used any Garmin software except maybe that bit initially to set up the device for you use with the Topo! software.
Hi Tramper Al,

You were able to download TOPO/NG maps into your Garmin?

That didn't work for me at all. I bought Garmin's Map Source, and those maps load into my 60CS.

Or do you mean you downloaded waypoint coordinates (without a map)? THAT I've done with my Garmin, but not the TOPO/NG maps themselves.

Frosty

Maps and GPS

What we were trying to do was this:

Download the 'track', which is actually a few hundred or thousand waypoints from our hike. Display the track on my NG/Topo maps. These steps are no problem, I've been doing this for years.

Produce a .jpg or other picture file that I could e-mail to PapaBear. This was what I had not done before, but it worked easily enough using the print tool and 'export as . . .' or something like that (thanks for help).

This had nothing to do with trying to load maps into the GPSR.