Maroon Bells Wilderness; Four Pass Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
MichaelJ and I will be backpacking in Colorado's Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness in late July and we are trying to decide on routes. :D

Has anyone hiked the Four Pass Loop? Its listed in several books as a 28 mile 3-5 day backpack.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Excellent!

Well, specifically -- given what you experienced, would you chose it again? Or would you modify the loop to include other side trails ? We noticed there are many options!

The book time seems generous, and we think for good reason. We wouldn't want to rush this trip -- so many photo ops! How many days did you spend completing it?

We have a few books on the area, can you recommend one that you found particularly useful?

Finally, did you take the shuttle to the Maroon Lake Trailhead or did you manage to park there?

Thanks!
Sabrina

I hiked a couple of passes' worth, over 2-3 days, waaaaay back in 1991. It was and still is one of the most memorable trips I've done. Absolutely gorgeous. Late July should be perfect, as one of the passes we wanted to cross around 7/10 still had a great big cornice on it, blocking passage. Do go slowly, as it's worth savoring (and the elevation may make you!). Just don't spend too much time high up after 1 PM. We got hailed on/scared by lightning pretty good. We took the shuttle to Maroon Lake- no big deal. Have fun!

Weatherman

una_dogger said:
Excellent!

Well, specifically -- given what you experienced, would you chose it again? Or would you modify the loop to include other side trails ? We noticed there are many options!

The book time seems generous, and we think for good reason. We wouldn't want to rush this trip -- so many photo ops! How many days did you spend completing it?

We have a few books on the area, can you recommend one that you found particularly useful?

Finally, did you take the shuttle to the Maroon Lake Trailhead or did you manage to park there?

Thanks!
Sabrina

Glorious trip! The book I found most helpful was "The Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas," by John Fielder and Mark Pearson. That was about 7 (?) years ago though, so there may be other useful guides. I found the time given to do the loop was just right for me--but fitness levels may vary. Plenty to see! We stayed over one night at Snowmass Lake intending to climb Snowmass, but we ended taking a rest day. I think we parked close enough to the trail head and had maybe a 1/2 mile walk to the trailhead through some nice trees. Not remembering exactly, but we did not take a shuttle.

It is a beautiful trip--enjoy!!

You can do it in 3 days, but it will be 3 tiring days - especially if you run into some bad weather, which we did. With 4 days, you will have time to linger around and maybe do some side trips as well. Its an awesome loop, so its worth it to take your time.

We managed to park right at the trailhead, but you have to show up early in the AM to get that deal. Not Baxter SP early, so its not that big of a deal to get there and drive in. I think we got there between 7 and 8 if I remember correctly.

As for camping, there are plenty of spots, right where you would hope them to be. We looked on the map, and just about every spot that I looked at and thought "Hmm.. looks like that would be a good place to camp" - there was. And there is plenty of water along the route as well.

Hope that helps!

Chomp

If I remember we got to drive up to near the trail head late in the day because other cars had already left. It was a short walk among the aspen to the real trail head. Good camping spots were pretty easy to find on the entire route, except by Snowmass Lake which was completely over camped.

The passes are long but all have fairly gentle approaches. We encountered some hail just after crossing the pass that leads down to Snowmass Lake and some rain, but other then that it was glorious.

I think we spent 4 nights out, taking essentially a rest day by adding a camp before the last pass.

There's a public pool on the road up to the trailhead and you can swim and shower after your hike for something like $5. Well worth it.

-dave-

It's a fantastic area. I have a trail-running guide to Colorado that lists the 4 Passes Loop as a single-day trail run. :eek: I never got around to that one; the Imogene Pass Run was enough for me. :rolleyes:

There is a great shop next to the Ben & Jerry's on the Aspen pedestrian mall with a number of good maps. Trails Illustrated #128 is the one I used.

Keep in mind that there are not any great places to camp b/t Frigid Air and West Maroon Passes. My favorite spot is along Snowmass Creek b/t Buckskin Pass and Snowmass Lake. There is good camping at Snowmass Lake, too, but you will likely be sharing the area with others.

There are many good side hikes, too. Over Willow Pass is incredible. We climbed up Sleeping Sexton from Buckskin Pass. Snowmass Mountain is accessible from Snowmass Lake. And, of course, the Maroon Bells are at the heart of it all, the easiest approach being up South Maroon from the West Maroon Creek.
Pyramid Peak and North Maroon are also viable, but it would be good to have some experience on the 14ers because they are quite difficult, especially Pyramid. Route-finding, altitude, and exposure is significant.

Oh - access to the parking lot is restricted during the day to keep the numbers of visitors in check. I think it's open before 8am and after 5pm or something like that, unless you pay for the shuttle. Just ask at the shop next to the Ben & Jerry's. While eating ice cream of course. Dublin Mudslide is my recommendation. :)

Did it in early August 2001 and would definitely do it again. We took 3 days to do it, but stayed out an extra night at the end because it was so beautiful. The shuttle provided easy access to the trailhead.

Since summer weather in the Colorado mountains often brings afternoon lightening storms, it's good not to have to get over too many passes in one day in order to stay on schedule. The passes are very scary and exposed if an electrical storm is bearing down.

Halite said:
. The passes are very scary and exposed if an electrical storm is bearing down.

Agreed! I've been caught in a few thunderstorms on the Continental Divide and we will be planning around them (up and on the trail early; try to hike each day to a distance that is close to the next pass so we can tackle it early).

Thanks so much to everyone for your responses! I am soooo excited for this trip!

BTW, I have John Fielder's Guide and have used it to plan two other Colorado backpacking trips, its an awesome resource!

This is a different area of CO than where I was last week (RMNP) - they are having a bit more snow, a bit later than usual this year - should not be a problem by the time you head out. They did get 5-9 inches above 9500' last Thursday in RMNP - 90 mph winds too.
Have a great time - CO is awesome!

Glad you are having fun, Sapblatt! I've hiking in RMNP, Indian Peaks Wilderness; as well as backpacked in the La Garita Wilderness and the West Elk Wilderness. I'm really looking forward to exploring the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness, and being with MichaelJ on his first ever trip to Colorado.
Isn't it GREAT out there!?
:)

No dogs on this one.
I am *really* looking forward to this trip, and experiencing a completely different kind of backpacking from the northeast.
Hopefully my back will survive the weight of all the camera gear. :D

Michael -
You will not believe what a difference hiking on a "path", not a scree slope makes. Lack of O2 was tough at first, but the lack of aches and pains at the end of the day is amazing.
have fun!

sapblatt said:
Michael -
You will not believe what a difference hiking on a "path", not a scree slope makes. Lack of O2 was tough at first, but the lack of aches and pains at the end of the day is amazing.
have fun!

Yup! And lets not forget
-no bugs
-warm dry air
-beautiful starfilled night skies
-wildflowers!!!!

So many great reasons to love the West!