May 19, 20, & 21 Maine NE4k & NEHH Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
With a little cooperation from the Weather Gods, the plan is for a three-day weekend in Maine. Three NE4K peaks and two NEHH peaks.

May 19 – Saddleback (NE4K)/The Horn (NE4K)

Plan to skip the high water crossings and mud by hiking from the Ski Area. On-trail at 10:00am.

May 20 – Baldpate (NEHH), and hopefully Old Speck (NE4K)

Hike from the trailhead on Route 26 – Grafton Notch, out and back. If time permits, cross the road and head for Old Speck.
Meet at 8:00am.

May 21 – Goose Eye (NEHH) & Carlo

Hike from the trailhead parking for Goose Eye Trail on Success Pond Road. Plan to hike a clockwise loop. Meet at 9:00am, on trail soon after.

All are welcome to join in. Email or PM with any questions.

Earl

Edit follows:

Success Pond Road is a private road owned by a fellow named Tom Dillon. I was told it would not be a good idea to call Mr. Dillon for road status information.

I have been in contact with among others the AMC-PNVC, City of Berlin, and representatives of Frasier Paper (the mill has closed but there is still a staff on site). The folks at Frasier paper said the Success Pond Road is open and passable.

It is also currently raining there.

Earl

Last edited:
Hi BIGearl,
Are you still planning to hike Maine this weekend (May 19 - 21)? If so, maybe I could tag along on your Saturday trip? Unfortunately, that is the only day I can hike.

sal

sal,

Because of conditions beyond my control that surfaced yesterday I will be unable to hike this weekend. Most likely not for some time. I am hopeful the current distraction will be resolved quickly allowing my routine to get back to normal.

Earl