May 22 - Lyon Mt. via the new trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

My wife said, "Let's go check out the new trail up Lyon". I agreed having no intention of going to the top. I've been curious after waiting, hearing, and then reading about this new way up an old friend.

The day started cloudy, but by the time we hit the trail head at noon, the sun was out and there was a wonderful cool breeze that was enough to keep the flies to a minimum. The trail is as advertised: designed for the hiker. It goes through some of the most beautiful forest in the northern 'Dacks, some second growth, some more mature, fern carpeted woods. The multiple switchbacks make the ascent almost unnoticeable (until one gets to the junction with the old trail halfway up the steepest, most unstable part of that route). I like the fact that one still goes through the basalt dike on the old trail.

There were numerous other hikers that day. The congeniality of the other hikers befit the new trail and great day.

Needless to say, we went to the top (I can't not have that view) despite our original intentions just to "see the new trail".