Metacomet-Manadnock Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shermansi

Reaction score
Looking for help:

I'll be back-packing on the northern part of the Metacomet-Manadnock trail this weekend from MA 78 to Monadnock Summit. The AMC trail guide rev. 10 is on hold, and I'm looking for camping information (shelters/campsites/restrictions, etc.) on this section of the trail and parking availabilities at each end. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Stan

I hiked this part of the M&M a couple of years ago. You can spot a car at the Monadnock State Park. Just talk to the rangers and let them know what you are doing. They like to know that the car is supposed to be in the lot over-night and that someone is not still on the mountain. Our camping was outside of the State Park boundries, because there is no camping allowed at Monadnock State Park except at the Park camp ground. We were able to find plenty of spots to camp. We just tried to stay well off of the trail and not on posted private property. We did not build any fires, using our stoves to cook only. This is best known as stealth camping. Leave no trace at it's best. We would hike until well after 5 pm so you don't run into many day hikers when you decide to make camp. We would also break down camp fairly early by taking down our tent before breakfast. It is a nice trail to hike. I can't comment about a car spot at Route 78 as that was not one of the car spots we used. If I recall hiking across the road there; there should be space for a car pulled well off of the road. Give the local police a call and let them know your plans. They can tell you the best place to leave a car, or at least know why it is by the side of the road when they cruise by it all day. Have fun.

Giants questions answered

This is one of the reasons I think this is one of the best web sites out there- So much exchange of information-:cool:

It's an ongoing education- Thanks Guys :D