Metacomet-Monadnock Day 5 11/19/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Just because Jade weenied out the first time I hiked it.... now I have to hike it again! Hopefully it won't be raining this time....

(below largely copied from original event post)
Day 5 includes sections 8 and 7 for 11.6 miles. Don't let the short miles fool you, these are some of the most rugged miles on the M-M trail. It includes the Norwottuck Horse Caves, Route 116 visitor Center, Seven Sisters ridge, Mt Holyoke, many good view points. There's some good steeps and some areas with picky footing.
More info here:
http://amcberkshire.org/mmtrail

This area is typically dry. DO NOT count on being able to refill water along the way except at:

The Route 116 visitor center, 5 miles into the hike, has potable water, bathrooms, and a small natural history display. Dogs are not allowed in the building.

If we have enough cars, we'll leave one at 116 in order to head down to Atkins to continue our tradition of decadent lunch stops. Atkins has indoor seating, warm cider, a salad bar, an incredible bakery, and lots of other stuff too yummmmm

The museum on Mt Holyoke is closed for the season.

The mileage will be somewhat longer than the 11.6 - there's a short out-and-back on the east side of the CT river from the last parking area to the bank of the river. It's no more than an additional mile or so. In case anyone has missed Al's internal struggle with being a "slave to the blaze", there's some debate about whether this section, the Hockanum Flats will be passable; and if not, how to get around it and have it still "count".

Please send me a PM or email with your email address if you'd like to join us.

By the way, this is a "dogs-allowed" hike with Dugan the Hooligan and Carmen (Jade's hiker-dog extraordinaire) participating thus far. Most of it is through areas where dogs are not required to be leashed.