Metacomet-Monadnock Day 6 10/15/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
A group of us (myself, Jade, NH_Mtn_Hiker, TramperAl) have been section hiking the M-M trail north to south. After many emails to coordinate schedules, we have established Saturday 10/15/2005 as the date of our next outing.

Day 6 includes sections 8 and 7 for 11.6 miles. Don't let the short miles fool you, these are some of the most rugged miles on the M-M trail. It includes the Norwottuck Horse Caves, Route 116 visitor Center, Seven Sisters ridge, Mt Holyoke, many good view points, and the CT river. There's some good steeps and some areas with picky footing.
More info here:
http://amcberkshire.org/mmtrail

This area is typically dry. DO NOT count on being able to refill water along the way except at:

The Route 116 visitor center, 5 miles into the hike, has potable water, bathrooms, and a small natural history display. Dogs are not allowed in the building.

If we have enough cars, we'll leave one at 116 in order to head down to Atkins to continue our tradition of decadent lunch stops. Atkins has indoor seating, warm cider, a salad bar, an incredible bakery, and lots of other stuff too yummmmm

The museum on Mt Holyoke will be closed. I do not know if water is available once it is closed for the season.

Then, after hiking all day, we'll need to do another car spot over to the west side of the CT river because (drum roll please) - TramperAl is organizing a canoe ferry of our motley crew across the Connecticut River! Never let it be said that Al missed a blaze.

The mileage will be somewhat longer than the 11.6 - there's a short out-and-back on the east side of the CT river from the last parking area to the bank of the river. It's no more than an additional mile or so.

Please send me a PM or email with your email address if you'd like to join us. The only thing we require is a zany sense of humor!

Jade - your tiara is optional for this section.

If you weighed the same as a duck you wouldn't need the ferry. But then again folks would believe you be witches :eek:

I was hoping to tag along for this section but my wife voluntered my services that day :mad:

have fun, brianW

ps Isn't it a requirement that it either be muggy and 90 degrees or be pooring rain to hike with Dugan and Jade?

brianW said:
If you weighed the same as a duck you wouldn't need the ferry. But then again folks would believe you be witches :eek:

I was hoping to tag along for this section but my wife voluntered my services that day :mad:

have fun, brianW

ps Isn't it a requirement that it either be muggy and 90 degrees or be pooring rain to hike with Dugan and Jade?

That's the sense of humor we like to have!

Um, no it isn't a requirement 'cause Jade weenies out if it's raining :D

Due to the planning required for those who wish to participate in the CT river canoe ferry, please drop me a PM or email with your email if you want to participate. If you'd like to join us, but DO NOT want to ferry across the river, we've worked out plans for that too.

We have canceled the mid-hike Atkins stop to ensure that we'll have enough daylight for the ferry but we'll probably stop there afterwards yummmmm....

Should be some good foliage views!