Meteor Showers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. I remember watching a spectacular Leonid display at Jones Beach on Long Island a few years ago...... I'll try and make arrangements to get out there Sat. night .

We hiked in to The Bluff,and camped in anticipation of the meteor shower. I saw one at about 7pm-then it clouded over! :mad:
But...we did have some snow!!! :D :D

The Great Show

. . . won't be back for a number of years. The one we had 5 (more?) years ago was a peak on something like a 20 year cycle. I've looked for Leonids every year it's not cloudy, and seeing one seems like a pretty good show. But that one a few years back was unbelieveable. I ran through my speed dial on the ole cell phone till my batteries were dead. Initially I caught a lot of curses (it was 3:30 a.m.), but the feedback later was all thumbs up.

Until next November . ..

There were NO clouds at all up here. Every single star was out and visible and I was outside at 10PM 11PM then after Midnight, for at least 15 minutes at a time and saw absolutely NOTHING :( . I sat out on the little seat built into my porch and was completely comfy and ready to be awed. It was a bit disappointing, but the stars were lovely regardless.
I went out to the Audubon center in Auburn to see that spectacular Leonid show that we had several years ago (might have been 2002 if I can recall) and it was absolutely spectacular. This year, given what I saw and what I heard from others in areas with really no light pollution to speak of (Jackson, Chatham, etc.), was a bit of a bust I'm afraid. Oh well; there's always next year, or perhaps the Perseids in August will come through.

Might be a slim chance for more tonight. From the Spaceweather site:

More to come? There is a slim chance of more Leonids tonight around 8:30 p.m. EST (0130 UT on Nov. 21st) when Earth runs through another, minor cloud of comet dust. Meteor enthusiasts should remain alert.

I was up in King's Ravine on Saturday night and the stars were just as bright and beautiful as they could be, star gazing was magnificent. Unfortunately, I witnessed only 6 shooting stars, not much of a show. : (
kmac

whitelief said:
. . . won't be back for a number of years. The one we had 5 (more?) years ago was a peak on something like a 20 year cycle. .

Meteor showers result from comet dust lying in Earth's orbital path. Comets shed dust particles, then Earth comes by, gravity sucks them in and when they hit the atmosphere they burn up. The parental comet of the Leonid shower has a 33 year orbit, so every 33 years the comet dust is replenished, resulting in strong meteor showers. The Leonids were very strong in 1900, 1933, 1966, and again in 2002. They can also be strong for a few years before or after. more info and pictures

There's a good shower around December 13th, and also January 5th?

This picture was taken in 2002 out on the Kancamagus.

Last edited:
I kept checking last night but it was socked in with lcouds

Forestnome-that picture is amazing! You are one lucky person to have been there.

For the last Leonid display a few years ago,we camped at the base of Monadnock. I climbed out of the tent at 3AM to make sure it was goingto be worth waking the others. As I looked up,a fireball streaked across the sky. I think I shouted" Holy Crap!!!" loud enough to wake them up-and it was certainly worthwhile.
There were about 30 people gathered in the parking lot,but it was pitch black,and you couldn't see anyone.
Every time another meteor shot across there was a collective "OOOOOhhhhh!" :D

Latest posts