Microspikes - Annual Reminder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
Given the recent snow and overnight temps on occasion at higher elevations in the whites, its time to get the microspikes out of storage. The first priority should be to inspect them to make sure they are good for another season. Katoola microspikes sometime develop torn eyelets or loose chainlinks. Torn eyelets can be be temporarily fixed with wire ties and loose chainlink can be tightened up with a set of pliers. If they are good shape they should go in the pack. If they arent, its time to contact the manufacuturer if its a waranty issue or buy a new pair.

I'd also add to check the points on the spikes themselves. Last year I slipped several times on very low angle ice the microspikes usually handle easily. I compared my spikes to someone who had new ones, and mine had been rounded down quite a bit. Not the products fault, just a few years of lots of shoulder season/ ice and mix rock got to them. Buying a new one solved the problem. I use the other one now for road walks like zealand when icy. Zip ties are a great thing to carry in winter.

Yup gear does wear out;)

One thing to keep in mind with zip ties that in very cold weather they can get brittle. I experienced that one day in winter on Lions head when a crampon failed going downhill. I did two zip tie repairs and they failed rapidly. My friend had some copper wire and it held all the way down to Pinkham. Electricians use an older version of a ziptie made out of stainless steel for outdoor applications exposed to the sun (solar systems). These steel ones hold up better to temperature swings and are a lot more durable but they are hard to find.

I checked mine and brought them with me on Franconia Ridge yesterday. There was snow and rime ice all over on Lafayette and Lincoln. The trails weren't bad and I didn't end up using them. But the snow melting and falling off the trees everywhere could make lots of spots slick and icy with cold temps at night.

Good reminder - I just pulled mine out this morning as part of the "change the pack and add/remove contents" ritual when the seasons change. Time to inspect all the other winter gear, too, sharp and pointy or not.

Last edited:
I had mine with me when I backpacked up to Carter Notch Hut on Sunday of Columbus Day Weekend. I wasn't sure if I might need them if it snowed Sunday night as I was hiking Wildcat on Monday morning. Thankfully although there was snow up on Wildcat, it stayed in the trees and ground off trail and not on the rock steps on trail. I thought that was real convenient of it, don't you? Nevertheless, it didn't hurt to be prepared.