Microspikes on Fire Towers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'm sure no one here hikes with an awl, and punches 1,200 holes in the fire tower steps when they get there. But that is what you are doing if you climb a tower wearing microspikes. (60 steps average, 10 spikes per step, ascend, descend - 60 x 10 x 2 =1200). Balsam Lake Mountain's steps are covered with micro spike holes. This will cause them to wear out rapidly.

I'm not saying don't be safe, but if the steps are not snow covered or icy, give us a break and take off your spikes. This goes double for crampons, but I suspect the problem is mostly microspikes.

Tom - that's a good reminder, and a new one for people to add to their list of "trail courtesy."
Thanks. Ellen

Same thing with the trail itself :) People insist on wearing spikes that would be banned on a golf course in far more fragile terrain. If the ground is bare and not frozen, take off the spikes. If that's too much trouble, stay home.

Given the popularity of microspike with hikers, this is going to be tough one to manage. I wonder if the alternative is to install sacrificial boards on top of the steps and replace them every winter. Definitely might want to put up signs, I know RMC has them at Gray Knob and Crag.

Back when I worked in a papermill we used fiberglass grating steps with traction grit in the fiberglass. We always had small pieces of it left over. The grating would serve two purposes, plenty of traction and anyone trying to climb up it with crampons would have a tough time as the spikes would catch in the grate. We also used steel grating but that tends to be slippery when wet. Fiberglass grating is used in many industrial facilities so you might get lucky asking around if someone works for one and can get you scrap grating. It is fairly expensive to buy new.

Last edited:
Good idea, but seems like a lot of work for volunteers to install and then reinstall the sacrificial treads. Before going to that amount of effort, perhaps a large sign posted at the bottom of towers reminding hikers that volunteers keep up the towers and ask that they remove spikes before climbing the stairs?

The huts all have signs about crampons... so maybe signs will work. There is nobody in the tower (unlike the huts) to yell at you if you ignore the warning so it may not be as effective.

Tim

Yes, but it might get some people to think before they start up the stairs stabbing the treads. The 'don't care' folks won't be dissuaded by anything but the stairs being blocked or someone standing there to ask them to remove their spikes.

how about a sign that says, "Use of Microspikes may cause the floor treads to break, fall at your own risk" :)

jay