Moderate Hikes in Portland, OR Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We'll be in Portland next July. I'm looking for some moderate hikes, single day type stuff, 4K of elevation is ok, up to 12 miles is fine. Preferably not too far from Portland, although we might stay closer to the mountains for a couple days.

We probably won't be doing any of the big boys, but just in case, tell me about some of the higher peaks. What do I need to bring/rent? Are there guides you would recommend, etc.

Experience wise, we've done some 14'ers, and we're no strangers to Winter climbing.

If you have not been already, take the drive up to Mt. St. Helens. I only had time for a quick walk around the visitors center when I was there last year but there are a bunch of hiking trails there.

What surprised me last year when I visited Portland for the first time was how close by Mt. Hood is to the city. I second the idea to look at St. Helens, and the Waterfalls and trails along the Columbia south of Hood River. With what I know, if I was going to be in that area again I'd look for portions of the Oregon Trail for its history, and the Zig-Zag Trail, just because I like the name.

single day type stuff, 4K of elevation is ok, up to 12 miles is fine. Preferably not too far from Portland, although we might stay closer to the mountains for a couple days.

I'd probably do 4k and 12 miles of Hood, or whatever combo works there. When in Rome...

Mt St Helens is hiked from the south side (Cougar) and is 4500' and 10 miles, I think. Don't get too close to the edge, though. Both look to be about the same distance from Portland.

Here are some other, more local, ideas.

How about parts of the PCT, which I think goes by (the base) of Mt Hood..

Jay

..and as an added bonus, from downtown Portland, you can go by Boring.

TR-you might try

1) Dog Mt-in the Gorge just on other side of river in Washington-superb condition trail-lots of bang for the buck-maybe 6-6.5 miles round trip and steady ups of 27-2900'?, but you can fly on trail--great views of Columbia River Gorge

2) Tom Dick and Harry-from Rt 26 near Government Camp-Mirror Lake Trail-loop is 6? miles and less than 2000' ups--superb views of Hood

3)-the best nearby hike for me, just did it today--Zig Zag Canyon and then Paradise Park Loop from Timberline Lodge via PCT/Paradise Park Loop trail-you can tailor to you desires, but whole thing is about 12 miles and 2500-2700'? of ups-great trails, beautiful high meadows-the best views of Hood (it's right "there")-hike circumnavigates part of the mountain up and down from about 6000'--only problem might be "july"--there were still some snowfields (no problem) to go over today and 2 years ago, the PCT had 18" snow even at Timberline Lodge--may do a TR when i get home next weekend

you can find all you need on net, but i have some descriptions if you need them for all three--start with Portland Hikers Board

as mentioned, there are many smaller hikes on OR side of Gorge not too far away

jim

Last edited:
Tom,
You and Laurie should consider applying for a couple of permits for Mt St Helens.
Check out whether you can get down to Sisters,OR and climb South Sister.
If you go early enough in the season, don't rule out a guided climb of Mt Hood. The trail the circles Mt Hood is beauiful.
Crater Lake is spectacular. The Portland zoo is worth a visit.

If you drive out near Mt St Helens, check out the Ape Caves. They're not far from Cougar.

I second St. Helens and Ape Caves. We didn't have a permit reserved in advance, but went into the store in Cougar that releases them to climbers. They happened to have two permits for the next day and we grabbed them. What was nice was that it also allowed us to camp at the trailhead. If you do that, be forewarned that water is NOT available at the trailhead so you must bring in all you will need. Permits to hike on the trail are only required if you hike above treeline. There is a nice-looking trail that diverts from the main trail at that point, so you'd still have the opportunity to check out the area. Ape Caves is just down the road a bit. Brian wasn't thrilled about being in a cave, but I found it more like being in the subway tunnel in Boston, minus the concrete, trains and people. They rent lanterns at the visitor center but we used our headlamps and they were fine. We went almost to the end of the shorter/easier section, but there's one spot you have to get down on hands and knees for the final chamber and our legs were a little sore from the St. H. climb the day before.

Didn't see it on any of the lists, but in our brief visit ten years ago, we enjoyed the walk up Eagle Creek. Very moderate, go a far as you want and then turn back, very spectacular.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a marvelous set of trail guides by William Sullivan: List on Amazon
I suggest you pick one book in the area of interest and order it (and read through it) before you go.

I visit my daughter there every year, and each time we devote a long day to some local hike while my wife visits friends.

The guides are terrific. Never had a bad hike.

Here's a few we did (but still read the books):

2004 Mt Adams attempt and Mt. Hood
2003 Mt. Saint Helens
2006 The Columbia Gorge: The Eagle Creek Trail
2007 Opal Creek Oregon: Hiking through an Old-Growth Wilderness

Check this out (from the last report}:

P1010036.jpg

Last edited:
If you're not necessarily looking to bag any peaks, I'll second (or third?) the Eagle Creek trail. Spectacularly green in a rain forest kind of way, and some of the most beautiful waterfalls I've ever laid eyes on.

l_96ed46c26b92d5a00d00af89a259792d.jpg

Also, it's not exactly a hike, but the Japanese Garden in Portland itself is friggin great, and that's coming from someone that has zero interest in botanical gardens or any kind of gardening in general. I could just wander around that place all day long, just taking a break every now and then to read a book or ponder my existence. haha

Lots of great ideas here, we just spent the last 4 days in Portland, it is within an hours drive of so many great places to hike!!

Eagle Falls is very cool (it is a PCT alternative route and super busy with lots of day hikers) But fun to walk behind the falls! makes for great pictures.

Tons of hikes around Hood, someone mentioned Tom, Dick and Harry (we were thinking of hiking this over the weekend as is was recommended by a couple friends)

Heard that sometimes you can score a last minute permit (in Cougar) to hike Mt. St. Helens........as sometimes people buy them, but don't pick them up, worth a call, if you're interested and don't plan ahead.

If you do head up to Mt. St. Helens area......watch out for elk!

The best outdoor store in Portland is http://nextadventure.net/ and they can help with any advice/gear you might need (great bargain basement), cool staff with lots of experience. They rent gear and have some guided trips.

In Portland, we walked up to the Rose Garden because someone said there is a great view of Hood there........it was in the morning (when it's is typically still foggy), so no view of Hood, but TONS of roses........

Fun city........lots of breweries! Have a great trip.

hey

my 'cousin' Jimmy lives there (and i plan to be there next July as well, passn thru)... remind me when time is at hand and i'll put you in touch - he's a really cool 'native' of the area...:D

Latest posts