Monadnock Dublin Trail Relocation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite way up Monadnock. I wonder if the new trail will bypass the badly washed out section a little ways up?

Quietman said:
My favorite way up Monadnock. I wonder if the new trail will bypass the badly washed out section a little ways up?
I would say it does. I heard from one of the park rangers a little bit ago who tells me, "The trail has very gentle grades for the majority of it's length, and I have been monitoring it throughout the fall rains and snowmelt, and it looks like we lucked out to find an excellent stable treadway."
I hope he doesn't mind me posting so. I'm really looking forward to getting out there in early June.

Unfortunately the badly eroded middle sections were not part of this project, the relo has more to do with the longstanding problems of complaints from area residents due to inadequete parking at the old trailhead (it is owned by the New England Forestry Foundation). SPNHF obtained property near to where the MS Greenway heads north off the Old Troy Rd (not to be confused with the huge landing immediately adjacent to where the MSGTr heads off, done by someone else), and has a better lot ready to go but still blocked off. The other reason for the relo is for SPNHF to accomplish forest management practices in that area.
A lot of drainage work was accomplished last summer in the middle sections where the worst erosion was occuring, and SPNHF is hosting a NH Trails Day project and has paid for an SCA crew for this summer. Much of their focus will be trying to check the erosion above last summers work, and up towards the first ledge shelf. It will be difficult to restore the treadway though, since it is down to bare ledge in many sections.
There are actually older trees a bit farther up the trail to the east at about 2000'. You would really be surprised by what's out there. SPNHF declared all of their Monadnock holdings above 2000' as a "Natural Area" with no cutting. The oldest trees I ever discovered are near park HQ, old pasture trees in Meades Orchard, and an old Red Oak that was visible near the Dot that must have been at least 250. It has fallen though.

Early Bird said:
I would say it does. I heard from one of the park rangers a little bit ago who tells me, "The trail has very gentle grades for the majority of it's length, and I have been monitoring it throughout the fall rains and snowmelt, and it looks like we lucked out to find an excellent stable treadway."

Sorry for the misinformation... :eek: The above is still correct, but as you see it doesn't address the eroded section.

Latest posts