Moose still on the increase

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite a dramatic increase. Does anyone know what the Adirondack population potential is? Like some many acres to one moose type stat?

moose

We saw a moose at the beginning of the month. We had just finished hiking the loop trail to High Falls on the Oswegatchie River (which was amazingly beautiful) and were driving down Route 3. We had just pulled out of the road from Wanakena and the moose was in the back of a big wetland at the treeline. I think I just noticed him because his color stood out after spending the day on the trail. He was huge with huge antlers even from a distance.

I've seen female moose while hiking in Nova Scotia, but this was the first time I've seen a moose in NY state, so it was pretty exciting even though he wasn't too close. We also saw a track in the mud of one of the beaver dams we crossed while on the trail.

There is a website where you can log your moose sightings.......adirondackmooseobservations.

I saw a mother moose and calf on Forest Home Road (between Saranac Lake and Lake Clear) a few weeks ago. A few days later, while taking my dendrology lab up Creighton Hill near Paul Smith's College, an adult female Moose wandered across the trail in front of us.

Including all the moose I saw up in Maine, that makes 8 moose I've seen this year!