Moosilauke Overnight via the Beaver Brook Trail - June 28, 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
I drove up to the Whites on a Friday, reaching the Beaver Brook Trailhead around 2:15 PM. Good number of cars in the lot. I was in a bit of a ramshackle state so it took me a while to get things in order and I hit the trail by 3 PM. One fella was offering trail magic at the start. I hiked in until I left the Forest Protection Area and then wandered around the hills until I found some decent trees to make camp. The site had a bit of lean but I made it work.

Once set up it was already around 4:30 PM so I figured it was time to head on up. This was my first trip up the Beaver Brook Trail and it didn't disappoint. Lovely cascades ran along that first steep mile. Very steep but I was enjoying the effort. The trail was very dry otherwise I probably would not have enjoyed it as much. Once past the Beaver Brook Shelter it levels off and allowed me to do a bit of trail running. It also offered up a restricted view of Moosilauke through the trees. I had the summit to myself and enjoyed some absolutely perfect conditions. Mid 60s and barely any wind.

I can see why they caution against descending Beaver Brook in bad conditions. Thankfully the dry rock/stairs provided good traction. I managed to get back to camp before it got dark and enjoyed a meal in the hammock before turning in. I awoke in the middle of the night with a terrible headache - I developed a good electrolyte routine with Tailwind but let my supply lapse. I think I paid the price on this one. By morning it was a dull ache. One more mistake - I almost always pack up everything under the tarp first but on this day decided to first take the tarp down. So of course it begins to rain. If nothing else it prompted me to pack up quickly. A good hike and a good start to the weekend.

Thanks for the post, will check out the video. I feel that ramshackle state - the heat and especially the humidity get to me. And electrolytes are key, I suffered cramps before learning about them, and now keep a thing of Nuuns in my snack bag. Should probably try others but those are convenient to buy at the grocery.
I was also hiking out from my backpack trip the morning you were hiking down, on Saturday. It was really heavy rain for sure. I had made it all the way to the dining room at Pinkham visitor center before it opened up. Felt bad for those out on trail, like the AT thru hikers.

Thanks for the post, will check out the video. I feel that ramshackle state - the heat and especially the humidity get to me.

It was tricky to plan for an overnight trip as well as prep for light & fast stuff. As is often the case, I end up throwing most of my gear in the car and then accepting that I'll have to go through it all once I get up there.

It was tricky to plan for an overnight trip as well as prep for light & fast stuff. As is often the case, I end up throwing most of my gear in the car and then accepting that I'll have to go through it all once I get up there.
On my last overnight, I had gone out for lunch with my wife the day before, and then dinner (and many cocktails) so I scrambled to get my bear canister packed for 2 nights and an early wake up call for the drive up. Let's just say doing that drunk was a bad idea. Was pretty interesting to see what I had brought and how it was "organized" inside. Favorite item was an extra pair of socks wrapped in my AMC map for an area I did not go. :)

I was supposed to go up the week prior and had planned to leave my house at 6 AM on a Friday. That never works for me. I'm never all the way packed the night before. I need the morning's final puttering time.

I was supposed to go up the week prior and had planned to leave my house at 6 AM on a Friday. That never works for me. I'm never all the way packed the night before. I need the morning's final puttering time.
I'm usually the opposite. I obsess and pack everything the day before and get in the car from 2AM-5AM for most hikes. When that day before has a Bruins game, is a FRI, or the night before the start of a holiday weekend results can vary.... :)