Moosilauke via Beaver Brook, 12/6/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Moosilauke on Saturday, 12/6/2008.

Planned Route: Round trip via Beaver Brook, 7.6 miles, 3100 feet

I’ve been checking around and it looks like the forecast for Saturday is a good one for a hike above the treeline. The current forecast calls for cloudy conditions with a breeze (under 10mph at the trailhead, higher elevation ~20mph) from the southwest all day. Unlike the other route choices, the Beaver Brook route should be generally sheltered from the prevailing wind nearly all the way to the summit. The cloud cover is forecast to be 6000 to 12000 feet above ground level - very high, which should make for good views.

I’m down to one peak remaining for completing the 48 for a second time this year. Trail Trotter has been with me on many of these hikes and is planning to join this one too.

Anybody interested in joining the hike to Moosilauke is welcome.

Beaver Brook is fun but can be difficult due to icing on the steep climb along the cascades.

Full winter gear will probably be needed.

I am planning for a target meet time at the trailhead in Kinsman Notch of 8:00am – 8:15am. With an on-trail target of 8:30am and a leisurely pace we should be back to the trailhead by approximately 4:30pm.

Most likely snowshoes and traction will be needed for the hike.

If you’re interested in this hike please respond to the thread or by PM.

:D

..........I’m down to one peak remaining for completing the 48 for a second time this year................

Hey fella, you're making us other old guys look lame !

Congratulations ! Impressive !

Why don't you plan to have your late start and catch up with us?

Thought about it, but due to schedule conflicts I'll be hiking on Sunday instead. My first snowstorm of the season!

In case you have better things to do with your time, I’ve made the “rounds” and here’s the latest….

Snow Cover: Cardigan Lodge (south of Moosilauke) and Lonesome Lake Hut (north of Moosilauke) both report a cover of 9 inches of snow.

NWS: Tomorrow looks great! Partly sunny, very light wind from the southwest (5 – 8 mph), under 10 percent probability of precipitation

Weather.com: Tomorrow looks great! Partly sunny, very light wind from the south (2 – 5 mph), 0 percent probability of precipitation (6:00am – 3:00pm) and ~10 percent after.

NWS: (interpolated)
Wind = midday ~4000/5000 feet approximately 20 – 25 mph from the south
Temps = ~20 degrees at ~4000/5000 feet
Clouds = scattered/overcast/broken, 6600 – 12000 feet above ground level

Bottom line, it looks like a terrific day to climb the cascades on the Beaver Brook Trail on the way to Moosilauke.

:D

I bet the cascades are still mostly liquid. If I'm wrong, let me know - I know a bunch of folks who are salivating for some decent ice outside of Huntington's.