More carbon monoxide when pot is on stove?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
This article from a Norwegian newspaper Trodde Ulvang var død på sydpolenekspedisjon describes an episode of carbon monoxide poisoning that occurred during a South Pole expedition. The article cites post-expedition testing by a military research lab in Norway that found the stove in question produced 100 times more CO with the pot on the stove than when off. Now, we all know there are hazards with cooking in a tent. But has anyone seen such an assertion before? Can any of you tech types come up with a possible explanation? I'm hard-pressed to do so. But then this brain still favors the ancient Svea 123, so my own reasoning abilities might be limited, even without CO poisoning. ;)

EDIT: This is why it's handy to have a Chem.E. PhD/physics instructor/camper in the family. Her response to my query: "The supply of oxygen to the flame is reduced by the presence of the pot, and the flame temperature is reduced because heat is absorbed by the pot & food. Both favor increased CO production."

Last edited:
Wow, there must be more this story then just a pot too close to the stove.

You really need to starve a gas flame of oxygen in order to generate significant CO. The common hydrocarbon gases [methane, butane, propane] are is so much easier to burn than oil, coal, or wood.

Yes, you can make a gas flame orange and smoky but it takes some work.

I am guessing that the inlet air to the burner was severely restricted. And, obviously, they were in a poorly ventilated space that allowed the CO to accumulate.

Yup

This is something very important to remember when melting snow for water - to add small pieces of ice/snow at a time so as to not chill the pot and induce CO production. I remember a similar incident on Denali back in the 80's.

EDIT: Slew of more info at Zen Stoves

Last edited:
This is something very important to remember when melting snow for water - to add small pieces of ice/snow at a time so as to not chill the pot and induce CO production. I remember a similar incident on Denali back in the 80's.

Very enlightening. Between this from you and my sister's analysis, I have something to keep in mind for winter use. (But then I rarely cook inside a tent, and unless I can persuade someone to give it a third try, I'm unlikely to be moving back to AK and melting as much snow as I used to do. :( )

The other issue is that if you start with or add too much snow, you can pull the water off the bottom of the pot and melt the pot. (This applies primarily to aluminum pots--melting point 660C. Titanium melts at 1670C, however any coatings would likely be destroyed well before it melts.)

EDIT: Slew of more info at Zen Stoves
Nice ref.

Doug