Moriah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Looking to do Moriah next Weekend Fri.,Sat. or Sun. 9/2-3-4. Was hoping to do the Carter Moriah Trail from Gorham. If anyone is interested a traverse to the Stoney Brook Trail would be fun; which would involve a car spot. Also up for Breakfeast suggestions in Gorham.

Last edited:
I like D&D's ,but not looking to start that early...do'nt really think the hike warrants it. I'm thinking more like 8:00-8:30 am.

moriah on friday

i will be coming to nh on fri.am to do pres trvs with meb and crew on sun sept. 4.would consider moriah or middle and south carter loop using imp trail and 19 mi brook trail,weather permitting..andy

If you want a good (but not fast) breakfast in Gorham, Welch's is supposed to be the place, I've eaten there & it didn't wow me but was definitely a nice meal.

I am so tempted to come along... but my car still hasn't been fixed, and anyway you would lose me to botany-related pursuits in the Moriah / Imp Mtn area.

Middle Carter & surrounding ridgeline is worth visiting. IMHO I'd save S. Carter for a trip with Carter Dome & Hight. (or just skip it if you're not peakbagging the NH4K)

What part of town is Welch's located.I have traveled through gorham so many times over the years but never have made it past eating at either Mc D's or Burger King; quite sad actually. Looking to break the mold.
I actually would find botany related pursuits to be interesting, just don't mix them in with my Breakfeast.

Welch's is in downtown Gorham, it's right on rt 2, fairly far east I think towards the rt2/rt16 intersection. (I was going to be a wise guy and post a topo map picture, but couldn't single out the building in question :rolleyes: )

when in Gorham you have to set your eating standards appropriately. There was another thread on this general topic. My votes are for breakfast: Welch's; other meals: Mr Pizza (open relatively late, local favorite, boy do they know how to make good chicken fingers & french fries, service can be slow but seems to be faster in the room on the right as you enter) and Wilfreds (good turkey + good fried shrimp IMHO). The restaurant at the Royalty Inn is so-so; breakfast at Hiker's Paradise was no-frills and fairly decent (came free with my one and only railroad-interrupted stay at that place... but I digress). I haven't tried J's yet.

If the weather is decent on Sat I will be hiking Goose Eye (shameless plug) with some friends. If the weather is not decent we may be doing something else, but not Moriah... have a great hike and enjoy -- I've heard it's a good one to visit (among my considerations for #48).

J's is a nice place to eat but their menu and prices are upscale from Mr. Pizza. Welch's is on the right as you are driving west on RT 2 about 1/10 of a mile past the town common. There is a Mobil Gas station just before it and Gorham Hardware (big gray building) just past it. It is easy to drive by as there is no parking lot in front. There is also breakfast available at the White Birches which is part of the Royalty Motel complex (not as good as Welches)